Wednesday, January 3, 2018

My Top 5 Cards From 2003 Topps Gallery

I'm doing a spin on my usual top 5 cards posts and doing the top 5 cards from a set rather than from a player collection. A few days ago, I opened a box of 2003 Topps Gallery and came across some incredibly-designed and extremely stunning cards. Today, I've found my 5 favorite base cards to do a post about. I chose the base set only because I think it gives the best possible look at the set. With that being said, here are my 5 favorite cards from 2003 Topps Gallery; Museum Edition. 

#5 Mike Mussina
My favorite part of this card would have to be the background and how much detail was included in it. I really enjoy the orange, blue, and red colors that make up the people in the crowd at Yankee Stadium. It takes a background that is usually pretty standard in cards and adds details to it to make it unique. Not to mention how great the Yankees uniforms look on these cards, even though I'm not the biggest Yankee fan. This card has a lot going for it and even though Mike Mussina isn't a favorite of mine, I had to put this card on the list.

#4 Ivan Rodriguez 
Because Ivan Rodriguez spent just 1 season with the team, there aren't that many cards that show the Hall of Fame catcher on the Florida Marlins who he helped lead to the franchise's 2nd World Series. But that's not the only reason why I like this card. Lots of attention was paid to this card just like the Mussina card, case and point the color choice in the background and the excellent shading of Rodriguez's jersey. It's almost weird to see him in a Marlins jersey considering how short of a stint he had there, but this card was excellently created by Topps, which is something I cannot ignore.

#3 Ryan Klesko
It's not very often when a baseball card gives a close-up look at an outfielder attempting to make a catch, but that is what was done in Ryan Klesko's card from the set. The Padres outfielder is shown getting ready to make a catch in the outfielder and as soon as I pulled the card, it instantly became one of my favorites. The fine details of this card were executed finely and well to ensure the card would pull off what it was going for, and it sure did do that. I appreciate that this provides a typically unseen look at what goes down before a catch, which is what put this card in at #3. 

#2 Drew Henson
The Drew Henson card seems like an upgraded Mike Mussina card as it features many of the same things that caused me to put the Mussina card on the list. It does a brilliant job showcasing the classic pinstripes and also features a stunning stadium background, this one includes mainly red and blue. What I like about this card more than the Mussina is how it's more focused than the Mussina card. it provides a close look which helps the overall card and allows the collector to be able to see all of the well-done features even better.

#1 Miguel Tejada
Perhaps if I had acquired this card before creating my top 25 A's cards list, this card would have a good chance of making the cut. The card shows Tejada in a throwback Athletics jersey while choosing 2 nearly-perfect colors for the card background, yellow and black. Each color compliments the jersey very well, and the jersey itself looks fabulous. It reminds me of something I enjoy a lot about collecting which is getting cards with throwback jerseys on them. And despite it becoming more of a rare variation as of late, at least I have this card to remind me of those times. 





No comments:

Post a Comment