Monday, September 4, 2017

A Little Bit of Everything Part 2: Card Show Recap #2

Yesterday I went to the card show with my dad as the perfect way to end my summer. I showed the cards that I got, but today I'm going to show you what my dad decided to get.
He unlike myself went right to the dime bins. He picked up a couple of Luis Tiant cards from 1983. The odd thing is that Tiant didn't play in '83, so I assume these were made before he decided to retire.
It seems like I'm always acquiring new Rickey Henderson cards. He's one of my largest player collections with about 150 cards of him. The real interesting one is the one on the right. It's from 1998 Fleer Tradition commemorating the 1963 Fleer design. They ended up doing the '63 set as their base set design for 2003 Fleer Tradition as well.
I was very pleased to acquire cards of Dave Winfield a player I haven't gotten new cards of in a while. I especially love the 2011 Gypsy Queen. I like the set and I don't have my base cards from it, so it was definitely a good card for my dad to choose.
These 2 cards brought my Hanley Ramirez card total to around 80 cards. That's pretty good for a player whose first full season was in 2006. The one on the left is from 2009 Topps Heritage. I was able to get quite a few of these '60 set designed cards in 2017 Archives, but no more than 10 from when they were included in 2009 Topps Heritage.

The Triple Threads card is from 2009 as well. It's hard to tell from this picture, but the card is actually numbered 152/525. The card itself looks very simple, yet almost immaculate. The bronze background along with the black borders on top and bottom look good, but the image of Hanley completes the card. This is the first time I've received a card from '09 Triple Threads, but I hope it won't be the last.

After buying these and more from the dime bins my dad turned his attention to relics.
These Francisco Lindor and Todd Helton relics are from 2017 Panini Donruss. They were $2 each and they look good especially for unlicensed relics. Even though both of the relics are small (the Helton bat in particular) I still think these cards are a steal for $2 each.
This is not my first relic from 2003 Topps Tribute, but it's for sure my favorite. This Hoyt Wilhelm relic is from his time with the New York Giants. The jersey looks beautiful and is a great size relic for a retired player. The set looks nice, the card looks nice, and the relic itself looks nice. This really is a amazing relic.
I don't think I've ever seen a relic so focused on one color.

Red.

This relic is from 2004 Fleer Names of the Game. The little bit of black on the side along with the red and the "Ryan Express" written out makes this card look better than most. To top it all off it's serial numbered 77/79. Even though the relic is plain white that's okay. Because if that's the biggest problem with the card then I'm certain it's a pretty nice addition.

But nothing could top this. 

I rarely buy autographs online or at the show, because of the astronomical price. But Vladdy is my dad's favorite player and he couldn't resist this card from 2007 Topps Co-Signers. The sticker auto doesn't bother me in this card, because I'm so distracted by everything else going on. The black and grey go well with the little touch of red. Topps did an excellent job with this card and the 2007 Co-Signers for that matter.

This is why I go to the show more often then Target or COMC. The fun cards you can dig up in the dime bins, affordable relics, and cards that make your jaw drop. That's what makes the card show such a different experience, and one I hope I'll always be able to attend.










1 comment: