Monday, May 7, 2018

Frankenset Page 6

After an extremely exciting week full of card show recaps, redemption reveals, and receiving generous card packages in the mail, I have returned to regular blog posts once more. Last week was one of the best baseball card weeks of my life, but does not reflect my everyday life as a collector. Most of the time, it's just me doing fun posts on cards that I like, or expanding upon ideas that I like such as the frankenset pages.

This is the 6th page of my frankenset and covers cards 46-54. I must say that last week was very exciting in terms of all the new cards I got to show off. But at the same time, I'm not at all dissappointed that I can finally go back to what I like which is more oddball and random posts, and you can't get much more random than a frankenset.

#46 1999 Topps Gold Label Class 3 Todd Walker
A random box of cards that I bought a couple years ago is the reason why I have this and so many more 1999 Topps Gold Label cards. Most of them are pretty nice, like the Todd Walker card shown above. However, I still can't tell the difference between the 3 classes, whether it's 1999 or 2017 Gold Label.

#47 2003 Fleer Showcase Roy Halladay
I made this frankenset well before the 2-time Cy Young award winner passed away last November. Not much else to say. RIP Roy Halladay.

#48 2016 Panini Donruss 1982 Design Robin Yount
The throwback design cards from the Panini Donruss sets have always been one of the strong points of the set. If only they were allowed to use logos, I can only imagine how much better these cards would look. 

#49 2014 Panini Classics Lefty O'Doul
The 2014 Panini Classics set was very similar to the Diamond Kings set in terms of the player choices for the set. They use a lot of very old players from the early 1900's like Lefty O'Doul who is on the card shown here. 

#50 2012 Topps Adrian Gonzalez
Anytime I see cards of Adrian Gonzalez or Carl Crawford on the Red Sox, it immedeately takes me back to the days of the Red Sox "super team" that never was. Even if the cards are pretty nice-looking like this landscape photo of Gonzalez, it still brings back the memories of the unsuccessful 2011 and 2012 seasons.

#51 1963 Topps George Alusik
In my opinion, the red uniforms of the Kansas City Athletics from the 60's are some of the most underrated jerseys of all-time. I guess the glasses and the bats have an affect on me as well, because this card is one of my favorites of the frankenset so far.

#52 2016 Bowman Byron Buxton
I realize that 2018 Bowman was released a couple of weeks ago, but I can't say I have any intentions of buying even a rack pack. The design this year isn't all that great, and even features the same cut-off logos that made 2016 Topps the disaster it was. I may give it a shot though, just so I can get in on the Ohtani craze just a little bit.

#53 2010 Topps Craig Counsell
The image chosen for this 2010 Topps card of Craig Counsell looks like a photo you'd see in a pack of 1991 Topps. It has the same kind of action image you'd expect to see in that set.

#54 2001 Upper Deck Hall of Famers Cy Young
I don't think I've seen any card from this set besides the one of Cy Young that made the frankenset. I guess I'll have to add it to the extensive lists of sets that I've discovered I like thanks to frankensets. 










1 comment:

  1. That Alusik is fantastic. You so rarely see the pre-green and yellow A's unis in color. Definitely the card of the page.

    ReplyDelete