Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Frankenset Page 8

I think I've finally found a rhythm with posting these frankenset pages as well as an audience of people who enjoy the posts as well as a couple of the cards I've chosen for the pages. It's a pretty fun post series to do, and one that will go on for quite a while since my 666-card frankenset is equivalent to 74 pages, or 74 frankenset page posts.

After I finish, who knows what I'll end up doing with the set. I could make a countdown of my favorite frankenset cards or try to find even better cards for the set and continuously improve it with update posts once or twice a week.

Actually, that 2nd idea is one I could definitely see myself getting into. A frankenset that's always changing and updating seems like a really good idea.

Anyway, it'll be a long time before I finish these frankenset page posts, so for now, here's the 8th page in the set.

#64 2009 Topps Allen & Ginter National Pride Francisco Liriano
We're officially nearing the point in the frankenset where the insert cards are starting to become less and less common. A couple of pages from now, we won't be seeing inserts like this National Pride Francisco Liriano. Once we get to card 100 it's pretty much just all base cards from there, though there are parallel cards still to come.

#65 2003 Fleer Tradition Update Coco Crisp
This card is from Coco Crisp's first stint with the Cleveland Indians which lasted from 2002-2005. His second stint was a brief stay on their 2016 AL pennant-winning season. He only joined the team in late August, but he hit a critical home run in game 3 of the ALDS against my beloved Red Sox, which proved to be the game-winner as well as the series-clinching swing.

#66 2013 Topps Archives Tim Hudson
The more closely I look into it, the more I realize how respectable a career Tim Hudson had. He's a 4-time All-Star, even making it in his age 39 season back in 2014. He finished runner-up in the 2000 AL Cy Young award and his performance even garnered some MVP votes that same year. Additionally, he also has over 220 wins and over 2,000 strikeouts.

#67 2004 Bowman Heritage Don Larsen
Larsen's original 1955 Bowman card also had the number 67 and looked exactly like the re-made card featured in the 2004 Bowman Heritage set. I'm guessing they chose to recreate some cards of actual players from 1955 to put in the Bowman Heritage set almost 50 years later.

#68 2004 Fleer Greats of the Game Kirby Puckett 
First a 1955 Bowman remake and now a 2004 Fleer Greats of the Game card? Page 8 of the frankenset is shaping up to be one of my favorites as it features cards from 2 of my favorite sets of all-time. I absolutely love the '04 Greats of the Game set. The players included in the set are chosen very well not to mention how stunning the set design truly is.

#69 2016 Topps Gypsy Queen Blue Frame Josh Donaldson
Josh Donaldson is at the top of my list of players I should start collecting given how often I see his cards at the show or in packs that I open. In the same realm as Donaldson are players like Max Scherzer and Corey Kluber. All 3 of these players have won either MVP or Cy Young awards, and I have enough cards of them that it's only a matter of time before I just start up player collections for all 3 of them.

#70 2014 Topps Heritage Paul Konerko
I've always absolutely loved this 2014 Topps Heritage card of Paul Konerko. For starters, the 1965 set is one of my all-time favorites. Secondly, the light blue background and the bright white White Sox jersey is a pretty great combo. Even with some tough competition, this would have to be my favorite card on the page.

#71 1994 Fleer Ron Tingley
This card could very well be my 1 and only card of Ron Tingley. But if it is, then at least it's an absolutely incredibly card that could truly not have captured a better moment for a catcher's baseball card than right when he's attempting to tag the runner out at home.

#72 1989 Swell Baseball Greats Bucky Dent
The red-striped White Sox jerseys from the 70's were as perplexing as they are completely awesome and a perfect way to wrap up the 8th page of my frankenset. 












2 comments:

  1. Lots of retro on this page! In that spirit I'll pick the Coco Crisp as my favorite, with his, pardon the pun, crisp white uniform.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that Larsen, I wasn't sure if it was a heritage or an original. Those red White Sox jerseys are just plain strange. Also you've got Edwin Encarnacion there, not Josh Donaldson.

    ReplyDelete