Saturday, January 5, 2019

Frankenset Page #35

I've officially reached the point in creating this frankenset where the selection of cards available for each page has started to become more limited, hence why the 35th page of the set is dominated by Topps Flagship cards.

Now that I'm fully into the 300s, sets like modern-day Stadium Club and Allen & Ginter aren't going to be appearing on pages anymore. The higher the card number is, the fewer sets are available, forcing me to get creative with the cards that I choose. 

I don't want any more pages with 7 Topps Flagship cards. I want my frankenset pages to incorporate as many different products as possible. In the rare instances that I can't do that, I at least want to choose the best cards possible for each card number, even if the selection is rather limited.

The 35th page of my frankenset is a perfect example of making the most of what I have. Encompassing cards #307-315, I'll openly admit it's not my favorite page, but there are definitely better pages to come in the set. For now, let's see what this page has to offer.

#307 1984 Topps Bobby Mitchell
I made a couple of switches when I took this page out of the binder for posting today, but Bobby Mitchell's 1984 Topps card was not one of them. I'm crazy about the Twins uniform and helmet in this card as it reminds me quite a lot of what Rod Carew would wear when he was with Minnesota. It's cards like this that make 1984 Topps one of the better Topps sets of the 1980s.

#308 2010 Topps Robinson Diaz
Following the first Topps Flagship card is, well, another Topps Flagship card, this one with a name that is much harder to read. Despite my problems with the 2010 Topps sets, I can't have any complaints about this card. Judging by the pink in the background and the high five that Diaz is giving the Pirates' 3rd base coach, I'd say he just hit a home run on Mother's Day.

#309 2018 Topps Josh Reddick
Josh Reddick's 2018 Topps card is one of the cards that I switched into the frankenset in hopes of improving it earlier today. Not only does it have part of beautiful Camden Yards in Baltimore in the background, but Reddick's '18 Flagship card would have to be one of my favorites of the entire set, a bold statement given the superb quality in 2018 Topps.

#310 2013 Topps Edwin Encarnacion
Just a couple of years ago, as recently as 2016, the Blue Jays were a Wild Card team with a lineup loaded with power, including Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion who both provided unreal power with their bats. 

Flashforward to present-day, Encarnacion was sent packing to Cleveland just 2 years into his contract in exchange for Carlos Santana, a shadow of his former self, while Bautista is likely done in the MLB. Baseball's one crazy sport, I can tell you that.

#311 1974 Topps Jerry Grotte
Grotte's '74 Topps card is definitely my favorite card of the entire page for a number of reasons. It's refreshing to see an old-school, classic design like 1974 Topps among all these recent sets, and I'm very fond of the action image on this card in particular. Even the Mets' pinstripes seem to stick out in what is an excellent card from a set that's celebrating 45 years in 2019.

#312 2017 Topps Heritage Tigers' team card
I strongly dislike the team cards that Topps has been rolling out for a number of years now simply because I just don't consider them team cards. 3 guys in Tigers uniforms should not qualify as a team card in any set, let alone Topps Heritage when they're supposed to be honoring previous sets. Topps didn't do team cards this was back in 1968, why start now?

#313 2016 Topps Martin Maldonado
It was mainly the catcher's gear that drew me towards this 2016 Topps Martin Maldonado card for spot #313 in my frankenset. As far as 2016 Topps cards go, this one's not too bad and makes decent use of the smoke since it's not necessarily blocking out anything of importance. The cut-off logos still irritate me, but otherwise, it's not too bad.

#314 2006 Fleer Felipe Lopez
I know that many modern-day sets have their own equivalents of this card, but I'm pretty crazy about the perfect timing that was utilized to capture this photo of Reds shortstop Felipe Lopez. Moreover, this has to be one of the few cards in this set that includes an Expos jersey as we can clearly see a Montreal player attempting to make this slide. 

#315 1983 Topps Rick Burleson
If I had to include 6 Topps Flagship cards on one page, I'm glad I chose at least somewhat interesting cards to take up these frankenset spots. Last up is Rick Burleson, who was on the Angels by the time 1983 came around. He's shown on the base path getting ready to run, another example of an image you don't see as often as I'd like on Baseball cards.

2 comments:

  1. I like the Maldonado card, and the Burleson. Whenever I see Robinzon Diaz I'm reminded of the Jose Bautista trade..wasn't expecting "Joey bats" to have a cameo on this page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robinson Diaz only hit one home run in the majors, and it was on May 7, 2009 at St. Louis. Not Mother's Day, but it was the last Cardinals home game before Mother's Day, so they might have been giving away something pink for the occasion. On Mother's Day the Pirates were at Citi Field, where Diaz went 3 for 4 with 2 doubles and an RBI. Does that railing look like Busch or Citi?

    My favorite of the page is the Grote. Oh, and you're spot in about the team cards in Heritage. If they absolutely can't get a full team photo, then either dump the team cards for extra players, or do team leader cards which at least would be closer to that era.

    ReplyDelete