Saturday, June 1, 2019

Best 30 Cards From All 30 Teams; AL West

After a few days of Mansfield show recap and a frankenset post to boost, I'm back on schedule with the best 30 cards from all 30 teams mini-series. Today, the division that I'll be overviewing is the AL West.

Like every other division that I have or will be showcasing cards from, the AL West is unique in a few different ways. Unlike the AL Central, it wasn't a challenge to find cards from each team to include in this post. In addition, while a few AL East teams had multiple candidates, there seemed to be 1 standout card from every club in the West.

Thus, it was manageable for me to craft this list for the AL West, for each team had just the right number of stellar cards that made deciding on the top 5 relatively easy.

Moreover, I'm also proud of the variety of cards featured in this post. Unlike the past division, the crown jewels of the AL West aren't just jersey relics. In fact, only 2 of the 5 team's greatest cards are hits (relics/autos). All the rest are rookie cards of iconic players from those teams.

Just as it was for the first 2 posts of this series, I thoroughly enjoyed creating this list of cards for the AL West, and I'm excited to see what the posts for the NL divisions will look like in the coming days.

For the time being, however, let's concentrate on the division at hand; the AL West and the #1 card from each of its 5 teams.

Houston Astros
Originally a dime box pickup, Jose Altuve's 2011 Topps Update card has quickly become one of the most cherished rookie cards in my entire Baseball card collection. Although he's had his fair share of struggles so far in 2019, Altuve is a perennial All-Star and former AL MVP award winner. 

Thus, it was a no brainer for me to get this card graded towards the end of 2018, and I was thrilled that it came back at a BGS 9.5. Out of all the top tier cards in my collection, I can't recall paying less than a dime for any of them.

That's the reason why, to this day, Jose Altuve's 2011 Topps Update rookie card reigns supreme as my greatest dime box pickup of all-time.

Los Angeles Angels
While we're on the subject of superstar rookie cards, let's move onto the next team in the AL West, the Los Angeles Angels, and my best card from this team. I may not have a rookie card of Mike Trout, but I arguably do have the next best thing; Shohei Ohtani's action image variation rookie card from 2018 Topps Heritage.

I pulled this card myself from a box of Topps Heritage last year, and I also sent this card off to Beckett and got it graded at a 9.5 towards the end of 2018. I don't stay up to date with Baseball card values, but this card, graded at a 9.5, was worth a solid amount following Ohtani's AL ROY win.

At the top of this post, you'll see another sensational card that I pulled from a pack of cards last year; Jo Adell's gold Early Indications auto, numbered out of 50, from 2018 Bowman's Best. 

If he develops and becomes the superstar that he's expected to become, I could foresee the Jo Adell auto taking Ohtani's place as the best Angels card in my collection.

Oakland Athletics
I've already shown this card on the blog a handful of times before, but I couldn't choose any other Oakland Athletics card to take its place on this countdown. This beautiful Dennis Eckersley autograph relic from 2017 Topps Gypsy Queen, numbered 45/50 on the back, cannot be beaten.

I have my reservations with the '17 Gypsy Queen set design as well as how the set is formatted, but I tend to ignore those problems as soon as I'm faced with this stunning card. Once again, I pulled this HOF hit from a box of 2017 Gypsy Queen, and I got it graded at The National last year.

While I wish it had earned a 9.5 like the Altuve and Ohtani cards, it's hard to complain about this eye-catching autograph relic. The attention to detail used when creating these cards is extremely evident.

Seattle Mariners
As far as the Seattle Mariners are concerned, I'm not blessed with as many fabulous cards as I am for the other teams in the AL West. Thus, my choice for the best Mariners card in my collection isn't as valuable as the card chosen for the other 4 teams, but it's still a card that I'm proud to feature at this spot.

Granted, I could've gone with a Gypsy Queen framed relic card of Ken Griffey Jr for the Seattle Mariners spot instead, but the Ichiro card stood out to me in a few different ways. Although it's not incredibly valuable, the 2001 Upper Deck card above is a true base rookie card of Ichiro, the only one that I have in my collection.

Texas Rangers
There were a ton of different Ivan Rodriguez relic cards that I could've chosen for this post instead of the one above. There were more glove relics, standard jersey cards, a dual relic with A-Rod, and all sorts of oddball options. 

However, I'm confident in the card that I selected for this spot; a 2002 Donruss studio dual relic, featuring a piece of his bat and batting glove. The card, numbered out of just 50 copies, is one of the coolest relic cards in my entire collection.

If it's able to achieve that status as it pertains to my whole collection, this card certainly deserves to be recognized as the best Texas Rangers card that I own. 

2 comments:

  1. Nice selections there. Altuve rookie for a dime is one heck of a pickup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this series. Dang. Wish I would have paid a dime for my Altuve. I paid about 600x that price.

    ReplyDelete