Friday, June 7, 2019

They Both Finally Signed!

Over 6 months ago, I posted my predictions for the 2018-19 MLB offseason, almost all of which ended up being incorrect. 

At the time, mid-November, I believed that I was posting these forecasts on the late side, for I fully expected the 8 or so superstars whom I discussed to sign contracts soon after I made these picks.

I never knew how incorrect I'd be. It's taken over half a year for all the players in my offseason predictions post to officially sign contracts. In the last couple of days, pitchers Dallas Keuchel and Craig Kimbrel made it official, agreeing to terms with the Braves and Cubs respectively. 

Both star pitchers will now earn less money in 2019 than the $17.9 million guaranteed dollars offered by the Red Sox and Astros following the 2018 season. 

In fact, Kimbrel and Keuchel's decision to decline those offers is what caused them not to get signed until early June; teams did not want to face a draft pick penalty by signing players who declined their qualifying offers.

That, combined with Kimbrel and, to a lesser degree, Keuchel's alleged outrageous asking price, has effectively caused these 2 All-Star pitchers to miss half a season. 

While I'm thrilled that Kimbrel will be playing for the Cubs, my 2nd favorite team, I'm equally glad that the rumors that surrounded these guys for months will finally die down.

I won't be going super in-depth, but I want to speak briefly about both of the free agent signings, starting with Keuchel's 1-year $13 million dollar deal with the Atlanta Braves.

For whatever reason, Dallas Keuchel decided to leave the 2017 World Series Champions, the Houston Astros, and take less money to join Atlanta. I'm not discrediting the successful franchise that the Braves have become, but I'm struggling to grasp exactly why Keuchel decided to leave Houston.

On paper, Houston is a much more well-rounded team than Atlanta; they have some of the games most talented hitters and one of the most feared rotations in Baseball. Keuchel was a part of that, winning the AL Cy Young award in 2015. 

I just don't understand why he'd throw all of that away and miss half of the 2019 season. Although I expect him to succeed in Atlanta, the decision is a tad baffling.

Keuchel's yet to have his press conference with his new team, but the 31-year old is expected to make a start in Triple-A Gwinnett on Saturday. I'm sure he, along with Kimbrel, need a few weeks to get the swing of things before they appear in an MLB game for the first time in 2019.

Because of that, I don't foresee either one of them playing for at least a week or 2. In fact, I believe that I heard Kimbrel won't appear in a game until around June 25th after signing with the Cubs a couple of days ago. 

Speaking of Craig Kimbrel, the 7-time All-Star missed out on a potential 8th selection by not agreeing to terms with a team until early June. However, after having his press conference with Chicago, all that's left to do is wait for him to make his Chicago Cubs debut as well as his return to the National League.

While his 2019 season is going to be a bit of a transition, Kimbrel's 3-year $43 million dollar contract with the Cubs ensures that he'll have a couple more seasons to regain his status as a top 2 closer in Baseball. 

He may not have earned the reported $100 million dollars that he desired, but he'll be earning reasonable money while playing for a perennial playoff contender.

I definitely expect the rest of the 2019 season to be an uphill battle for both pitchers, especially Kimbrel. Nevertheless, I have faith in Kimbrel's ability to come back strong for the Cubs in both 2020 and 2021. 

After months of uncertainty, I'm glad to finally know where Kimbrel will be playing for the next few seasons. Better yet, he'll take the field for my 2nd favorite team, the Chicago Cubs, in a number of weeks. 

Keuchel, on the other hand, basically signed a 1/2 year contract with the Braves. Pretty soon, he'll have to go through the same thing he experienced during the last offseason following the 2019 season. A return to Atlanta or Houston is probable, and I don't think anyone would be shocked to see him end up on the Yankees as well.

1 comment:

  1. I'm thrilled that both are signed (especially Kimbrel) and it worked out well for you since he landed on a team you like. I'm not a Keuchel fan but I'm glad that neither guy signed with the Yankees-and they get to keep their beards! :)

    ReplyDelete