Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Top 5 Cards; Gary Carter

Despite my professed love for all things Montreal Expos, I'm surprised at how little I've talked about the team and its superstar players since starting the blog. 

Up until recently, the only top 5 cards post I wrote for an Expos player was Vladimir Guerrero, and it's not like I talk about the team all that much during my other posts, come to think of it.

As of late, I made an effort to change this, starting by creating a top 5 cards post for Andre Dawson last month. Furthermore, I also featured Expos cards during frankenset pages and Baseball card show recap posts over the last couple of months as well.

It's a small start, but I definitely hope to talk more about the Expos on my blog as time goes on. They're such an intriguing team in terms of the players, uniforms, and the franchise as a whole. 

In addition to the HOF players who played most of their career in Montreal (Dawson, Raines, Guerrero, Carter), there were a few other stars from the 70s and 80s who ended up playing for the Expos for a brief period of time. Those guys include Bill "Spaceman" Lee, HOF Tony Perez, and the all-time hits leader, Pete Rose.

In an effort to discuss the Montreal Expos more frequently on the blog, I'll be showcasing my top 5 favorite Gary Carter cards. As of now, I have 86 cards of the 11-time All-Star in my collection; that makes his player collection #56 out of 250.

#5 1994 Ted Williams Card Company
Although this fabulous product was only around for 2 years, the combination of the set designs and the checklists of the '93 and '94 Ted Williams Card Company sets never fail to amaze me. 

In addition to featuring Hall of Famers like Gary Carter, one could expect to find semi-stars like Dock Ellis and Bob Watson across the checklists. Similarly, the designs were a perfect compliment to the bright colors of these players' jerseys, including the iconic powder blue Montreal Expos uniforms.

Surprisingly, very few of the Gary Carter cards in my collection feature the 3-time Gold Glove award winner in his catcher's gear. I also appreciate the photograph choice as it perfectly captures both the play and the uniform as well.

#4 1985 Fleer
I guess you truly can learn things from Baseball cards, for I had no idea that Gary Carter played 1st base in addition to catcher until I saw his 1985 Fleer card. The sleek silver borders make the '85 Fleer design one of my favorites in the company's history, a set that pairs beautifully with a photo of Gary Carter.

Although my obsession with powder blue uniforms makes me want to see them paired with the 1985 Fleer base design, I can't complain much about the fantastic card above. The actual image is incredibly unique, something we don't see that often, especially in older sets. 

Upon seeing this card, I realize how underrated of a set 1985 Fleer is. The time period allows for beautiful and colorful cards which, along with a silver border, forms a stellar combination.

#3 2012 Topps Gypsy Queen
Solely due to how plentiful and sensational Gary Carter's Expos cards are, I didn't expect to decide on any cards for this list that didn't showcase the 5-time Silver Slugger award winner on the Expos. 

Truth be told, I surprised myself when I not only decided on the 2012 Topps Gypsy Queen card above, featuring Carter on the Mets but also placed it at #3 on the countdown. However, I feel justified to have placed this card at #3 on the list, for the Mets uniform and the purple-bordered Gypsy Queen design form an unusual yet admirable combination.

The photo, like the shot on card #4, is a superb action shot, this time showing Carter at the plate instead of behind the plate. Throughout this decade, Carter's been included in many Archives and Gypsy Queen base sets, but it's safe for me to say that the 2012 Gypsy Queen card blows the rest of the competition away.

#2 1980 Topps
The top 2 spots on the countdown, both Topps Flagship cards, proved difficult to separate at first. Nonetheless, I eventually decided on Carter's incredibly unique 1980 Topps card for the #2 spot while choosing a more traditional card for #1.

I've always been incredibly fond of action shots on Baseball cards, no matter what they might be, but this card takes it to a whole new level. Carter's arm, holding the ball in the glove, is extended unbelievably high into the air in what I assume is a photo proceeded by a tag at the plate.

Not every Topps Flagship set, solely due to space, allows for a photo like this to be showcased. 1980 Topps is one of those few sets and while the card has a few minor flaws, its sheer uniqueness is what allowed it to achieve the #2 spot on the countdown.

#1 1977 Topps
As I explained, the #1 card on this list is much simpler than most of the other 4. Rather than featuring a crazy action photo or a meticulously detailed set design, Carter's 1977 Topps card is simple and pure. As I've mentioned numerous times before, there's definitely something to be said for that.

The card, overall, features about 4 different colors; red, blue, green, and white. Each color can be spotted numerous times throughout the photo and border, from the extensive green grass to the bold red text that spells out "Expos." 

The card is also aided by the fact that I'm a huge fan of the 1977 Topps set, just as I am for 1985 Fleer. However, this card combines my love for the '77 Flagship product with an equally awesome photo, resulting in a definite choice for the #1 spot.

2 comments:

  1. As a play at the plate fan... I absolutely love that 1980 Topps Carter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice list!
    I agree I think 85 Fleer is an underrated set. That Carter card is sharp!

    ReplyDelete