Sunday, February 18, 2018

5 Goals For the Card Show Tomorrow

After thoroughly enjoying my very first Mansfield card show just over a month ago, I've decided to return for the 2nd time at tomorrow's President's Day card show. I am looking forward to another incredible experience that delivers more vendors and more cards than the show I usually attend. If you're interested in seeing what I got last time, you can check out my 4 card show recap posts from last month.

I don't usually set goals for a show, simply because I never quite know what to expect at a card show. Even though I've been attending shows for nearly a decade now, they're still quite an unpredictable place. However, for a show like the Mansfield show, I feel it's important to see a couple of reachable goals in order to not go too crazy at the show tomorrow.

Goal #1 Acquire my 100th Craig Kimbrel card
My Kimbrel Collection currently sits at 93 cards in-hand, and 4 that are coming in the mail this week in a Sportlots order. Once those 4 cards arrive, the Kimbrel Collection total will be 97 different cards. That means I'll need to acquire just 3 Kimbrel cards tomorrow to bring the total to 100 total cards, a huge accomplishment for the Kimbrel Collection. I personally think this goal is very realistic considering I obtained around 3 Kimbrel cards at the last Mansfield card show. There are quite a few collectors with Red Sox 10 cent and 25 cent bins that should be able to provide the 3 Craig Kimbrel cards I am seeking tomorrow.

Goal #2 Add new Jackie Bradley Jr. cards to the collection
At the last show, I bought 2 PSA graded JBJ cards along with a couple other cards of Bradley because he is my dad's favorite player and the player he has chosen to super-collect. I'll be going to the show with my dad tomorrow, and I'm sure he'll find a couple of Bradley cards to add to his collection, but I'd also like to help him. If I could find another graded card for a good price, or maybe a relic and a few base cards of JBJ, then that would certainly complete goal #2.

Goal #3 Buy some 1983 inserts from 2018 Topps
I haven't gone to a card show since the release of 2018 Topps Series 1 but considering that the product is still very new, I'm guessing a lot of vendors will be selling cards from the set, including the 1983 Topps 35th Anniversary insert set that I am seeking to complete. I've pulled a total of 5 different cards from packs, so now it's time for me to take to the show to find some more of these cards. I realize some will be going for a higher price, but I'm sure I'll be able to at least double my total 1983 of inserts cards without breaking the bank.

Goal #4 Find cards from the Want List
It doesn't matter if the cards from my want list that I find tomorrow are inserts from 2017 Topps, or vintage set needs, or even cards I need to complete 2015 Topps. The point is that my want list is my most important tool in knowing the cards that I need to complete an insert set or base set. I'd definitely like to find some cards from my want list at the show tomorrow, no matter what they might be. Ideally, it would be 1972 Topps for the right price, but I'll accept anything that can shorten my want list just a little bit.

Goal #5 Find something special
I realize that I shouldn't expect to find something as special as these 1993 McDonalds MLB glasses that I found at the last show, commemorating the best players of all-time by showing some iconic Topps baseball cards. However, I would like to find something special at the show tomorrow that isn't necessarily a baseball card. I'd like to find some memorabilia such as maybe a pennant or bobblehead or something like that. Whatever I find, I just want it to be something that I will look back on at card shows in the future. 







3 comments:

  1. Those are some good, attainable goals. Even if it's a small show you should have no problem finding a lot of that stuff. Good luck, and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be at mansfield as well tomorrow. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Monday card show? I'm jealous.

    Heck, I'm jealous of anyone who has Presidents Day off.

    ReplyDelete