Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Turning an Autograph Into 3 Relics

I recently completed a trade with Matt of Bob Walk The Plank in which I sent a 2017 Bowman's Best auto of Shane Baz to him. He said he'd surprise me and send a few cards for my player collections, and I was instantly excited. I never quite know what to expect, especially when it comes to baseball cards. 

The package from Matt came in the mail today and contained 3 different relic cards. The first one (Ichiro) is shown above. The next 2 have 2 things in common. They're both Red Sox players and they're both serial numbered. 

The first of the 2 Sox relics is a player who was a key part of the 2013 World Championship team, Jacoby Ellsbury. The 2011 AL MVP runner-up put together 7 above-average seasons for the Red Sox including a monstrous 2011 season. This dual relic that includes what I believe to be a St. Patricks Day patch card, reminds me of those years he spent in Boston. The serial number is a bit hard to see, but the card is numbered 23/25 and is from 2014 Panini Immaculate.

Ellsbury turned 34 last year, a sign that I've been watching baseball for a while considering I remember his first few seasons. He's been rumored in trades along with his teammate Chase Headley. I still collect Jacoby, just not as much as I used to since he left the Red Sox for New York. I still enjoy finding cards in the Red Sox dime bins at the show or acquiring awesome cards like this, because of the time Jacoby spent in Boston. He was a star here, and that is something baseball cards do a good job of documenting. 

The 3rd and final relic sent to me by Matt is not just a Boston legend, but an MLB legend and one of the greatest all-around players in baseball history. Wade Boggs was the final relic sent to me in this trade, and this card is numbered 162/199 and is from 2015 Topps Tier 1, a high-end set. Therefore, I don't have many relics from that Topps brand.

Wade Boggs is one of my favorite players to ever play the game, probably on my top 10 favorites list. His sheer dominance and pure talent on the field lead to many cards being made of him. This caused many cards to be made of him and allowed me to collect over 100 cards of the 12-time All-Star.

Thanks a bunch for the incredible 3 relic cards Matt. I hope you enjoy the Shane Baz auto. 





4 comments:

  1. That's a pretty solid trade all around. Nice cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you thought so as well. I really enjoyed the cards too.

      Delete
  2. Glad you liked them! Hope we can trade again soon. Now that I have your info I'll probably just throw cards your way from time to time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt I really appreciate. I'll keep my eyes open for Pirates cards to send your way every so often.

      Delete