Saturday, December 22, 2018

Ranking Topps Sets by Decade; 1960s

With debatably the best selection of sets to choose from across any decade, the ranking of the Topps sets from the 1960s will likely prove to be one of the most challenging decisions I'll have to make throughout this mini-series. 

In addition to having countless Hall of Famers and star players to elevate their products, Topps went all out in the 1960s, creating set after memorable set, many of which would likely fall in the top 10 or even top 5 of my favorite Topps Flagship sets of all-time.

One of my favorite parts of the 60s sets is that each and every year included at least 1 unique color for a certain teams' cards, helping to differentiate the cards and sets from one another as well as allowing each card to stand on its own. 

I'm also not too certain what year they were introduced in, but the Topps All-Star rookie trophies, like the one shown above, made their debut in the 60s as well.

There are very few 1960s sets that I'm not very fond of, but they're compensated for by the 60s products that I'm crazy about. It's a tough call if I would call the 60s or the 70s the best decade for Topps Flagship sets, but I do know that this decade produced some of the best Topps sets of all-time.

#10 1964 Topps
1964 Topps is the only set across the entire decade that lacks the ability to be special and stand out. Even sets like '61 and '66, products that are usually dubbed boring, have images taking up most of the card as well as some contrasting colors, but not '64 Topps.

While the banner at the bottom has different colors depending on the team, the unnecessarily large team name at the top takes away precious space that could easily be occupied by the photo. Simply put, there's not much excitement going on with '64 Topps, landing the set at the very bottom of the list.

#9 1969 Topps
Like 1964 Topps, 1969 has a very plain set design that doesn't do much to catch attention. With that being said, at least '69 Topps, the set that 2018 Topps Heritage was based on, has images that take up almost the entire card, a feature that can help to distract from the relatively boring base set design.

I appreciate Topps' continuous effort to include a wide variety of different colors and combinations. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to save 1969 Topps from its less than interesting self.

#8 1966 Topps
1966 Topps may look more complete than the previously mentioned sets, but it's far from the best that the 60s have to offer. I'll admit, I believe that '66 Topps would look great as a complete set with page after page of cards with matching banners at the top and bottom. However, the cards aren't really able to stand out on their own. Ultimately, it gets lost in the star-studded collection of 60s products.

#7 1961 Topps
Since I'm currently collecting the 1961 Topps set, I suppose I should have a bit more optimism and place this set a bit higher on my list. However, no amount of color at the bottom of these cards can distract from the fact that the set is somewhat uninteresting. 

As far as 60s sets go, the images are pretty decent, though nothing spectacular. However, it's the type of set that should have a bit more going on. In other words, it seems almost incomplete, like it lacks that one final detail to elevate 1961 Topps to a much better product.

#6 1967 Topps
Maybe it was my lack of familiarity with the 1967 Topps set that caused me to ignore how solid of a set it is for so many years. Apart from collecting cards from the members of the '67 impossible dream Red Sox team, my selection of 1967 Topps cards is fairly limited. However, the different-colored team names appeal to me greatly, and this is one of the few sets in Topps history in which the fake signatures don't look out of place.

#5 1963 Topps
'63 Topps was one of the designs on my underrated Topps sets post from a couple days ago, and for good reason. The use of 2 different images isn't something that every set can necessarily pull off, yet '63 Topps accomplishes it in a near perfect manner. The image takes up just the right amount of space, and I actually don't mind the black and white photo cutting off a little bit of the actual image, in this instance.

#4 1965 Topps
As much as I love the 1965 Topps set, I want to be able to love the set even more, specifically because of the awesome pennants on each and every card, featuring the team's logo from back in the mid-1960s. With that being said, I can't ignore that it's simply not the best set from this decade, because there are a couple others that break the typical mold of a Topps Flagship set in favor of a design so unique that it simply cannot be ignored.

#3 1968 Topps
Whether you love or hate the burlap pattern design, I can basically guarantee 1 thing; you'll easily be able to recognize the 1968 Topps design because of how different it is from every other set ever made. Only a handful of Topps products break away from the white borders and repetitive design and create something totally different. 1968 Topps is one of those sets, but it's not the only product with a unique border produced in the 60s, more on that later.

#2 1960 Topps
With every card being landscape rather than vertical and the continuation of 2 images per card, 1960 Topps seems to fit in more with the 1950s rather than the 60s, not that that's a bad thing whatsoever. If I could describe the set in 1 word, it would be "different," because there's really not another set out there like 1960 Topps. It almost has too much going on, but Topps was able to stop themselves before getting out of hand.

#1 1962 Topps
Trust me, I thought about this decision for quite some time, but there's simply no better set throughout the entire 1960s decade that is superior to the 1962 Topps set, featuring the iconic wood borders. '62 Topps was bold enough to do the wood border first, long before the overhyped 1967 set was released. Accompanied by respectable photos and the overturned edge of the photo that I've come to love, it's hard not to appreciate the 1962 Topps set.

5 comments:

  1. Here’s my list. #1-67,#2-65,#3-63,,#4-60,#5-69,,#6-68,,#7-61,,#8-62,#9-64,#10-66

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised to see 1962 so low on your list, but I can see why '67 and '65 are so high up. I can see myself becoming more fond of '67 someday, but I simply don't have enough cards from the set now to truly appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. Usually, you see the 1968 set at the bottom of the list. I love the '68. Had a unique design, all the good featues of the 60's set, the WS cards, the rookies the checklist w/pics. And one advantage over the 1967, you can complete it without having to mortgage your house. The high numbers aren't killers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a huge fan of 1968 Topps simply because it's such a standout. There will never be another set quite like it, something I cannot say for every Topps Flagship set ever made.

      Delete
  3. It could be argued that '55 Bowman and '58 Hires Root Beer did woodgrain first, but Bowmans were TV cabinets and Hires was just a minor food issue.
    I think you meant "long before the overhyped 1987 set was released".

    ReplyDelete