Monday, September 25, 2017

1 Year Ago: The Day That Shocked the Baseball World

Exactly 1 year ago today, Marlins star pitcher Jose Fernandez died in a boating accident. He was just 24 years old.

I couldn't recall a more somber day in the baseball world. Every tv and radio station was talking about it. Fellow players paid tribute to Fernandez. It seemed like everyone, regardless of team, performance, or race came together to honor him.

Moments that change the world have a way of causing people to remember who they were with and what they were doing as soon as they found out, and I remember the moment I found out about it like it was yesterday. 

I was sitting with my dad talking when a notification on my phone was heard. I chose to ignore it until I left the room about 5 minutes later. I glanced at my phone and learned that he had died earlier that morning.

My jaw dropped, it all seemed so surreal. The feeling that someone so young and so talented would die so abruptly was shocking. That feeling stuck with me the rest of the day. 

We had planned on going to the card show all week and despite this news, we decided to go. As soon as we walked in we knew people were talking about it. He was just 24, Fernandez, boat crash, all these words were echoing throughout the room. 

I picked up a few cards of Jose that day as a way to carry on his legacy and the best way to do that is through cards. Cards tell a story and each one can hopefully carry on a part of his life.

The next day was an off day for the Red Sox, so I decided to tune into the Marlins game. I knew that they were planning to all wear the all-black jerseys with Fernandez's name on them as a way to pay homage to their friend and teammate. I can still remember Dee Gordon's leadoff home run during their next game against the Mets. The way he rounded the bases crying for Fernandez is one of the more emotional memories I can remember in sports.

After the home run, I decided to take a look at my Fernandez cards and I stumbled across this one. Nothing, in particular, struck me until I read the back caption on the card.

"As if it's the last game I'll ever pitch."

If only he knew how soon that would be.

Rest in peace to a man whose time was too short, but his impact was great. A man who changed how his team, as well as players from Cuba and even baseball, was viewed. 

Rest in peace José Delfín Fernández Gómez






No comments:

Post a Comment