Tuesday, September 26, 2017

New Team Collection Additions: Card Show Recap #3

I attended my local card show last Sunday in an effort to obtain more cards for my Red Sox team set want list. When I went in I saw the case breaker who is the only vendor that I buy from at every single card show. He had dime bins organized by the set then by the number which is where I knew I'd be able to find cards I needed.

Like Allen & Ginter.

He had lots of Allen & Ginter cards from the past 2 years available for a good price. He had a wide variety of Red Sox, an opportunity I was glad to take advantage of.

I also didn't limit myself to the sets already on the list. 

I found this 2017 Panini Donruss Wade Boggs card in the same bin. He's the only retired Red Sox player in the set, so this was a great card to pick up.

As was this Donruss Optic Rick Porcello. I didn't have either of these sets on my list until I got these cards. Now all the base cards and inserts are on the list.

I also took this opportunity to get cards from sets I haven't bought much from yet.

I've opened just 5 packs from 2017 Topps Series 2 and I have yet to get a memorable card or any Red Sox cards. So I got all the cards from Series 2 I could get, for I doubt I'll be buying any more of it.

There were even sets that I have a lot of cards from that I needed base cards from, but I found more cards from 2016 Gypsy Queen than any other set. I was especially happy to get a card of Carson Smith since he's finally pitching and actually pitching fairly well.

2017 Bowman is the exact opposite for me. I haven't opened a pack of this all year and I have no more than 10 cards from the set. The Bradley stands out to me for the sole reason that the bright red jersey stands out. Like the Donruss and Optic, I didn't include these on my want list until Sunday.

(Apologies in advance for the weird colors that were included in the scanned image)
Bowman Platinum is a set I've talked about a lot and I'm glad to acquire more cards from this foil-centric set. I had none going into today and now the only base card I need is Betts. 

Gotta love team collecting right?

There were even cards from 2016 Bowman Chrome, but I got very confused after I looked at the Red Sox checklist on COMC. There were these referred to as Bowman Base Chrome.

While these 2 were called Bowman Chrome Base. Could somebody please explain the difference to me?

Speaking of Chrome.
There was Topps Chrome galore. 

2016 and 2017 Topps Chrome were available and plenty of it. I've collected a fair amount of each set and now I have a bit more of each. 

The Rick Porcello card in the bottom left looked normal to me. That was until I looked on the back.
And saw this printing error. 

This card must have accidentally been printed some way that allowed a bit of yellow to sneak onto the back. It sure is weird, but I don't mind it much at all.

So I picked up all of these and was ready to cash out. That was until I found the inserts...
















1 comment: