Saturday, November 4, 2017

Bright Colors and Classic Sets: Top 25 A's Cards List #25-21

Here we go! After spending the last few days sorting my A's cards looking for the 25 best, I have compiled my final list of my personal top 25 Athletics cards.

I chose to make this list of the A's because of how much history this team has. They've had many teams both good and bad some extremely talented players come up in their organization. And with that comes the big, bold, and bright jerseys unique to the A's. 

The first 5 cards of the list have more modern cards than other parts of the list. Most of the rest of the list will be vintage cards. Now here are cards 25-21 on the list.

#25 2004 Bowman Heritage #6 Bobby Crosby
Since I don't have any original 1955 Bowman cards I turned my attention to the 2004 Bowman Heritage set that recreated the classic TV set design and while I had a couple of choices I decided that the Bobby Crosby card would make the list. This card like many other 2000's A's cards features the player in the dry desert which I believe to be the A's spring training field. What I like about this card is that it's different from many other cards, even cards of A's players. The desert background choice is a bit unconventional and I like that. They also did a great job recreating the classic set design although my only complaint is that I wish they had gone with the darker borders that caused the '55 Bowman set to stand-out as much as it did. However, it's a great card and a great way to kick off the list.

#24 1965 Topps #391 Mel McGaha
If you saw my preview post to this list then you saw this card of manager Mel McGaha as one of the cards shown that highlighted the Athletics crazy color choices and uniforms. And while this card, as well as the 1965 Topps set, looks great his time spent managing the struggling Kansas City Athletics was less than spectacular. McGaha went 45-91 in just over 1 season managing the A's before being abruptly fired after a dismal 5-21 start to their 1965 season. But you wouldn't know the team was struggling from the looks of this card as we see the 38-year old McGaha smiling and happy as can be. And even though he didn't have much success as a manager, he will always have one of the greatest A's cards in my collection as this one comes in at #24.

#23 1982 Topps #60 Tony Armas
Armas spent 6 of his 14 big league years playing for the Athletics, even finishing 4th in MVP voting in 1984. He has quite a few colorful cards in an A's jersey, even one other that made the list. But his 1982 Topps card is the perfect of a classic Oakland A's card. It shows young Armas getting ready before a game in their distinctive yellow jerseys. While the uniform is great, this card is propelled to the next level by the 1982 Topps set that was referred to as the "hockey stick" design. The colors that were chosen for Oakland in this set are a perfect example of the types of risks Topps used to take in their sets. The color combination of green and pink is something I would never think would work, but Topps was able to pull it off and with that, they created many sets, including this one that took a risk, and that risk paid off and got Armas the #23 spot.

#22 2013 Topps Gypsy Queen #172 Yoenis Cespedes
We're taking a quick break from the older cards and showing off some modern A's cards worthy of the list, specifically Yoenis Cespedes's 2013 Gypsy Queen card from his 2nd, and final full year for the A's. This Cuban born player along with Yasiel Puig was able to get more Cuban players contracts with MLB teams throughout the 2010's even when there were still tensions between the U.S. and Cuba. I know I got a bit off topic but the point is that this card is able to reflect Cespedes as a player with the bright yellow A's jersey in my all-time favorite Gypsy Queen set. The 2-time home run derby champion just turned 32 (he and I have the same birthday) which is getting up there in age for a baseball player but has shown extreme dedication to the Mets organization after signing a 3-year $75 million dollar contract back in early 2016. Still, his cards from his days in Oakland are by far his best, and that's what made this card make the list.

#21 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen #267 Jed Lowrie
I promise, my Gypsy Queen obsession did not completely take over this list. There are 4 cards from Gypsy Queen in this countdown, I know you're sick of seeing Gypsy Queen cards but I'm sorry I can't help it. Regardless of all that this Jed Lowrie card makes me feel like this photo was taken back in the 60's, that's how good of a job Topps did with this card. The single A rather than A's and the long green sleeves on the uniform is a unique take on these A's cards that I have never seen before which, combined with the 2014 Gypsy Queen set design causes the card to feel way more vintage than it really is. That is something that is tough to do, but I appreciate when it's done. The one thing I don't like is the big MLB logo right in the middle of the uniform, though I doubt the A's had any control over that so I'll let it slide.

I really hope you enjoyed the first 5 cards of my Top 25 A's cards list. I'll be posting the list in segments of 5 with the next one coming out in a few days so be on the look out for that one. Also, let me know if there are any decisions thus far that you disagree with, or cards you think should make the list. 




No comments:

Post a Comment