Sunday, November 26, 2017

The Final 5: Top 25 A's Cards List #5-1

The time has come for me to show off my top 5 favorite Athletics cards from my entire card collection.

If you've seen my past parts of this list you'll notice that the 20 cards above are cards 25-6 on my countdown. They range from the 60's to the 2010's, feature superstars and duds along with every player in between. That leaves us with just 5 cards left, the final 5, the best 5.

Thank you to everyone who has viewed and commented on my last 4 segments of this list, it really means a lot. And without further adieu, I give you the top 5 A's cards.

#5 1964 Topps #508 Diego Segui
Throughout the 50's and 60's, Topps' choice of odd color combinations leads me to associate certain teams with obscure colors. One of these pairings happens to be the Athletics and the color purple. Not only was purple their banner color in 1966 Topps, but it just seems like many A's cards just had purple, which I like a lot. Not only do I feel it's a nice pairing with their uniform, albeit an odd pairing, but I also think it adds something to the card that helps it stand out from cards of any other team. Not many cards have this amount of purple on them, so that along with a great image of A's pitcher Diego Segui (who played for the Seattle Pilots just FYI) is what was able to propel this card into the top 5.

#4 1976 Topps #165 Gene Tenace
Instantly, the first thing that stands out to me on this card is the green and yellow stripes located on the sleeves of A's All-Star Gene Tenace's jersey. This feature is something I hadn't seen on a jersey before, so when it appeared on his 1976 Topps card I immediately took notice. And even when considering all the other highlights of this card like the bat in his right hand or how the yellow star matches the A's colors, I still went back to the stripes and how they truly made the card what it is. Along with the color scheme and how there are 3 main colors on this card and 3 only, green, yellow, and white. Those 3 colors are symbolic of the A's which was noticeable on this card. Those factors are combined to create a stunning card, definitely a favorite of mine.

#3 1967 Topps #344 Ossie Chavarria
If you saw my preview of my A's cards list a couple of weeks ago then you most likely saw this color-filled exciting card of possibly the least recognizable player on this whole countdown, Ossie Chavarria. This is by far the most colorful card on the list as it features the bright yellow jersey along with long green sleeves that must be from Spring Training considering that I've haven't seen them worn that often before. Another reason I like this card is that the image takes up the whole card, which is something that I like about 1967 Topps, it's almost like a Stadium Club set that allows the image to take control of the whole card. Those features are hard to find all on one card, which is why I had to put it at #3.

#2 1970 Topps #140 Reggie Jackson
The #2 card on the list is a card you might have seen before, of a player that you have definitely heard of before. I'm talking about A's slugger Reggie Jackson's 1970 Topps card that shows the young future phenom swinging the bat during practice before the game. This card also shows off another different jersey (this list probably has 8 or 9 different A's jerseys alone). However, the best part of this card is the silver borders that work so incredibly well with the light green on Jackson's sleeves and hat. The 1970 set is just so distinctive and is one of my favorites, so I am a little biased in putting this card so high on the list, but this Jackson card is so stunning that it is nearly unbeatable.

I said nearly. 

Here it is, my #1 card on the Top 25 A's Cards list is...

#1 1971 Topps #523 John "Blue Moon" Odom
Where do I even start with this card? not only does it feature quite possible my favorite A's jersey ever, a more gold rather than yellow along with green sleeves, but it also includes my favorite picture of any card on this list. It shows Odom staring off into the outfield with a glove in his hands in what is quite possibly one of the most awesome, for a lack of a better word, cards that I've ever seen before. And as if that weren't enough, the unique black borders from 1971 Topps make this stunning card even better, if that's at all possible. Plus, he signs his name John "Blue Moon" Odom which is just plain cool.

So there it is, the list is complete. I know many people won't agree with my list so please, leave a comment suggesting a card I may have missed. Also, I really hope you enjoyed the list and if you did, tell me which team I should do a top 25 cards (or more) countdown of in the future. 






No comments:

Post a Comment