Monday, November 27, 2017

More Gallery

Before heading back home for this week, my dad and I went to Wal-Mart to test our luck and pick up 2 more Value Packs of 2017 Topps Gallery. I knew how my collecting year had gone at this time and that if I were to buy any more of this set I'd be disappointed, but I made the decision to go for it and try to pick up some new cards from the art-centric set. Here's what I got.

Pack 1:

#78 Edwin Encarnacion 
Encarnacion's Gallery card simply looks awesome. His 2017 stats weren't quite what the Indians expected considering his totals from the year before, but they certainly weren't bad. Every stat was just a bit lower than they were in 2016, but that's what you get when you're still power hitting at age 34.

#27 Noah Syndergaard 
Despite being on the Mets, a team a neither like nor follow, Syndergaard has emerged as one of my favorite pitchers in baseball. 

#4 Jose Berrios
This colorful and creative background makes this Jose Berrios card one of my favorites of the entire Gallery set.

#MP-27 Greg Maddux
I realize that he had his best years with the Braves, but I wish that Topps would put the Hall of Fame pitcher on the Cubs in more of his modern cards. 

#47 Jackie Bradley Jr.
I'm very pleased that Bradley got more recognition in 2017 sets. I just wish I could acquire more of the cards made of him considering that his down-year in 2017 could cause his card production to go back down in 2018.

#81 Magneuris Sierra

#134 Matt Duffy
The minuscule tree in the bottom left is what saved this card from rivaling the Jameson Taillon card for the most boring card in the set.

#56 Hunter Renfroe

#87 Kevin Kiermaier (Gold Canvas)
I got Kiermaier's base card in the last purchase. Now I have his Gold Canvas as well.

#47 Jackie Bradley Jr. (Gold Canvas)
Same for JBJ.

#138 Luke Weaver

#119 Buster Posey
It's crazy to think that Posey has been in the MLB for 7 years now. Could we be hearing rumors of him being a future Hall of Famer?

Pack 2:

#82 Anthony Alford

#23 Hunter Dozier

#96 Manny Margot
Am I the only one sick of the over-representation of the same rookies in 2017 Topps sets?

#37 DJ LeMahieu

#HOF-27 Ernie Banks
I'm really starting to like these Hall of Fame gallery cards. Getting one of Mr. Cub himself only makes it better considering this is one of my first cards of him since 2015 after an issue between his estate and Topps caused him to be left out of their sets for 2 years.

#77 Miguel Sano

#149 Lewis Brinson
I'm sorry, who? It's difficult to keep up with all the new rookies nowadays.

#148 Lucas Giolito

#137 Ichiro (Gold Canvas)
Like I've said before, I always enjoy getting new cards of Ichiro. And I personally think the gold border goes exceptionally well with the black jersey. 

#80 Freddie Freeman (Gold Canvas)

#115 Justin Verlander
This is a card I was absolutely ecstatic to get as it's my first card of Verlander on the Astros, and I'm excited that it won't be my last considering they have him locked up for a few years. I just really like how he looks in an Astros jersey.

#55 Jose Bautista
The last card is of Jose Bautista, a player who is most likely done or close to it after a disastrous 2017 season.

Even though I got some more cool cards in this purchase, it still wasn't as good as the first which was expected. So unless I go out of town again in a year or so and see these in the discount bin, I most likely won't buy any more of this. Unless, of course, it's in the dime bins.





























No comments:

Post a Comment