Friday, January 12, 2018

More Cards I Never Posted About

Yesterday, I posted about a blaster box of 2011 Gypsy Queen that I got a couple of months ago, but never showed until then. Today, I am continuing with that theme by posting cards I got a while ago, before starting the blog.

Back in July, I went to a Red Sox game with my dad. Before the game started, we went to the souvenir shop and browsed the baseball cards. They had these card boxes with 100 cards of star players both past and present, including a relic of a very good player, even some retired. So, we gambled and picked up a box for $20, the same price as a blaster box. And I was certainly pleased with what I got. 
There were a plethora of 2014 Topps cards in this box, but they were still of very good players that included Evan Longoria and a Jose Ramirez rookie card. 2014 wasn't a year I collected a whole lot of new stuff (or any come to think of it), so that means I never opened any packs of 2014 Topps, which is kind of a good thing considering how boring it. Still, I was able to get some very good cards, which makes up for the sub-par design. 

However, a very well-done part of the 2014 Topps set is the Future Stars symbol, which is hard to see on this scan but features a silver stamp with a star over the 2 words. I sure do like it a lot better than what they currently do for Future Stars because it's way more exciting to see. Instead of a boring font, they create a nice stamp that adds a much-needed detail to the 2014 Topps cards.

Another set that was very prominent in the box was 1987 Leaf that features one of my favorite designs of the 1980's. I love what they did with the baseball design on the side of the cards as well as the Leaf logo on top. However, what I like the most on the cards is the purple on the bottom of the card. I've stated before that I always enjoy sets placing oddball colors onto cards that you wouldn't think would work. Leaf was able to pull off adding a splash of purple to their 1987 set design, which is one of the many reasons why I like the set.

There were also many players that were prominent in this box such as David Price. I have high hopes for the 32-year old pitcher to have a bounce-back year in 2018. And while he may never reach the level of his Cy Young award season, so long as he can be a very good pitcher, that would be enough. He doesn't have to be amazing, but for what the Red Sox are paying him he needs to be great.

The box also had its share of oddball cards, specifically some from the Flair set produced by Fleer during the 90's and 2000's.

Awesome! There were even 2 cards that I needed for the newly-created Kimbrel Collection. Both of these, like a lot of the box, was from 2014 Topps while 1 is the base card and the other highlights him having back-to-back years with 40 saves and 150 strikeouts. This brings my total cards of Kimbrel up to 30 cards, a total I look to increase when I go to the card show this weekend. 

There were even some numbered parallels of some pretty good players in what became a very successful box. The Matt Holliday numbered to 2011, is from 2011 Topps Opening Day. The Jean Segura is also from Opening Day, but is from 2013 and also numbered to the year it was released, 2013.

I was very surprised to get such phenomenal cards in this box for such a good price. And if I'm fortunate enough to attend a Red Sox game this year, I may try these boxes again.












2 comments:

  1. Did they stiff you on the relic or are you saving that for a different post?

    I've got the factory team set version of the 2014 Kimbrel if you want it. Essentially the same card but numbered ATL-1. Just send your address.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm saving the relic I got for a future top 5 cards post. I'd love to trade for that Kimbrel card. Here's my email henryaaronblanchette@gmail.com I'd like to send you a card or two in return as well.

      Delete