Wednesday, January 17, 2018

My First Time At This Show Part #3: Card Show Recap #5

As you can probably tell given that this card show recap is now 3 posts long, it was a very successful show for me. Not only had I never been to this show before, but I was able to buy a huge variety of different cards like the ones shown above.

These came out of a 50 cent box from a vendor who I recognized from the card show I typically go to. I was able to pick up a Trout insert I needed from 2015 Topps, a Bowman Platinum card of Addison Russell on the A's, a team I never knew he played for. I also picked up an Arenado insert from 2017 Topps Finest and a Corey Seager insert from 2017 Topps Chrome. 4 fantastic cards that cost me $2 total.

I also found 2 Rafael Devers prospect cards in the same bin for 50 cents each just like the other 4. The 1st Bowman card is from 2014 Bowman Draft while the card on the right is from 2017 Topps Chrome. Devers is going to be playing in his first full season this year and will have his very first rookie cards made. So given that and that I just got 2 new cards prospect of him, I'm expecting to begin collecting Devers this year.

The final 50 cent cards I got were of 2 retired players I collect in Don Mattingly and Phil Rizzuto. These 2 cards brought my grand total to $4 for all the cards shown above which I am happy to add to my player collections.

After buying a lot of individual cards, I decided to change up the way I was buying. So I purchased 3 hobby packs, 1 2016 Topps Chrome, 1 2017 Allen & Ginter, and 1 2017 Topps for $10 total. Here's what I got, starting with the pack I opened first.

2016 Topps Chrome Pack

#22 Brian McCann
Even though I didn't like 2016 Topps, I have to say that Topps Chrome looked way better than I thought it would. The smoke doesn't bother me that much and the cards look fantastic.

#88 Mark Melancon Refractor
However, I wish the refractor and other parallels took up the whole card instead of the top left and bottom right corners.

#171 Zach Lee

#70 Tyler White
I suppose I may have gotten my hopes up with Topps Chrome, but I don't think I could've gotten a more boring pack if I tried.

2017 Allen & Ginter Pack

#28 Andrew McCutchen
I'm still in shock over his recent trade to the San Francisco Giants. I really thought, and wanted Cutch to be a Pirate for life. 

#1 Kris Bryant
I know I already have this card, but I don't mind having another. After all, you can't have too many Kris Bryant cards. It's also available for trade if anyone wants it. 

#225 Ian Kinsler

#WAD-31 Matt Kemp What a Day
These What a Day inserts quickly became one of my favorite parts of the 2017 Allen & Ginter set. I really enjoy how Topps was able to create an insert set that isn't all over the place but rather focused on showcasing incredible games that a certain player had. Matt Kemp may not be the most exciting player to pull, but I like the insert set enough to like the card.

#249 Sage Steele A&G Back

#337 Seung-Hwan Oh SP
I don't follow the Cardinals super closely, so I don't know much about Seung-Hwan Oh. However, I do like relief pitchers a lot so I am eager to follow him a bit more closely.

#263 Kevin Kelley

#49 David Wright
Regardless of what team you root for, I think we can all agree it's time for Topps to stop making cards of David Wright.

2017 Topps Pack

#69 Henry Owens
This pack isn't off to a good start...

#MLM-JAB Jose Abreu Bat Relic
Wow! A hit out of the pack that had the least likely odds to pull a hit. Jose Abreu is one of the best young players in the AL, and I never thought I could pull a hit out of 2017 Topps considering there's only 1 hit per box. I am extremely happy to add this relic to my relic and autograph collection. The best part is that I don't think I would've bought the relic if I saw it, but pulling it in a pack is even better because it gave me a card I've grown to like a lot. Also, don't worry the scratch over his face is on the top-loader, not the card itself.

#95 Chris Davis
Not a bad final card out of the 3-card pack.

After this, I had been wandering for a while and was almost ready to go. I decided to take another look through a vendor's 50 cent box to see if I missed anything from earlier.

And I was very glad I did because I wouldn't have been able to get this Ernie Banks card from 2013 Topps Museum which is numbered to 424. I like that this card is a bronze parallel because it gives the card a more vintage feel. It's hard to believe that I didn't notice it the first time.

But I was even more surprised to see this 2015 Topps Archives card of Brooks Robinson in the 50 cent bin. The card is a grey parallel and is numbered 106/199 on the back. Robinson is one of my favorite players to collect and Archives is one of my favorite sets to collect. I was very pleased to be able to pick up 2 more numbered cards for my player collections. Even with my time at the show almost up. 





















1 comment:

  1. Looks like you did very well. The Mansfield show us very well run. With many quality dealers

    ReplyDelete