Wednesday, January 10, 2018

One of the Best Sets From the 90's

Besides posting on the blog, I often do other tasks that involve baseball cards. I organize cards, I put cards away both in my collection and online, and, of course, I always enjoy looking at cards. The other day I was looking through different Reds cards when I came across this 5-card Metalic impression set of Ken Griffey Jr.

Yes, I know it shows him as a Mariner, but I reserve a section of my card area for all sorts of Reds memorabilia and Reds players. And since I mainly associate Griffey with the Reds, I chose to put the set there.

Anyway, the set is composed of 5 metal cards showing The Kid in a Mariners uniform. The set also features Griffey's name in the bottom left and a silver baseball in the top right. However, the card is mainly focused on the picture which is why the set doesn't have borders. They chose to have the image take up the entire card so it could be more detailed. 

The photos chosen in the set were by far my favorite part. The quality is great especially considering that the set is from 1996. They look like they belong in a Topps Stadium Club set, and they really help to make the cards way more interesting. This one is probably my favorite from the set. It shows Griffey right after throwing the ball back to the infield. The photographer was able to take the photo at just the right time, which is yet another reason why I enjoy the set so much.

The card backs are rather simple but do feature a different blurb about Ken Griffey Jr. on every one of them. This one talks about all the different talents that Griffey possesses such as his power and speed. It goes in to talk in-depth about how much of a multi-tool player Griffey was, which is very true. In fact, he has to be one of the most well-rounded players to ever play baseball given that he is a 10-time All-Star and a 9-time Silver Slugger winner. Not to mention he is all-time in Home Runs.

Like I said before, the cards are made of metal and the set is called Metalic Impressions. I also find it very impressive that these cards are over 20 years old and made of metal, but they are still in immaculate condition. None of the cards have any major flaws or dents or anything like that. It's the first and only Metalic Impressions set I've ever seen, but I figure there has to be at least one more set of these out there, right?

But even if this is the only Metalic Impressions set I ever get, I wouldn't mind too much. I enjoy the cards and set concept very much. Plus, it was just $5 at the baseball card show, which has proven time and time again that you can find great cards for a great price. 



No comments:

Post a Comment