Tuesday, January 23, 2018

My Thoughts on the 2018 Topps Series 1 Checklist

2018 Topps Series 1 is being released in a little over a week, and I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we don't want to see Mike Trout on the cover of any Topps product anytime soon. With all that being said, I fully plan on visiting Target once it's released to pick up a blaster box. I'll probably go the Friday or Saturday after it's released just to make sure they have it in stock.

Until then, I have some time to go through the checklist and share my thoughts on the set as well as what I'm expecting once it's released. And of course, the Kimbrel cards on the checklist will be listed too.

Firstly, I'll talk about the base set. I don't totally mind the set and I have a feeling I'll get to like it more and more as the year goes on. The "ribbon" that Topps was going for (okay I'm sorry but that does not look like a ribbon, at least not online) actually looks pretty nice. The photo quality improves year after year and the set looks really modern, but not overly-modern like 2017 Topps. I don't like the pixels floating away from the player and team name. I just feel that detail is absolutely unnecessary. But other than that I don't have a huge issue with the set (I still wish they'd bring back borders but oh well).

Now, onto the insert sets.

Yippie! Topps Salute is back, and you thought you could escape the massive and slightly boring insert set. I have to say I like 2017 Salute way more, and not just because the gold and white looked good before the set was stuffed down our throats. But we could actually see what the special uniform was from, unlike this set where they cut off the word "Rookie" (apologies for the blurriness it's the only one I could find to use). 

The 1983 inserts are to 2018 what 1987 inserts were in 2017 because Topps has decided to do another insert set commemorating a classic set design, and they chose 1983 Topps which I think is an excellent choice, way better than 1987. While 1987 is overrated, 1983 Topps is a very under-appreciated set that has the potential to look fantastic if done well like it was when included in 2015 Topps Archives. I just hope Topps doesn't go crazy with it like they did with the 1987 inserts last year.

There are also some other inserts that I haven't paid much attention too cause I haven't seen them online yet. However, these Superstar Sensations inserts do look pretty cool. I wonder if they use the purple color for all or not.

I have to say I'm really not a fan of these gigantic 100-card insert sets that Topps has been producing over the last few years. Not only does collecting them become difficult for almost every collector, but there's just no need to make them this big. Insert sets are supposed to be around 25 cards and somewhat easy and more enjoyable to collect, not 100-card sets that people will most likely never be able to complete.

There are also some retail exclusive insert sets, a Derek Jeter Target-exclusive insert set...

And a Kris Bryant Walmart-exclusive insert set. The player choices are pretty interesting even if they are polar opposites. Kris Bryant is one of my favorite players in baseball currently, so I really would like to collect some of those cards. But of course, the Wal-Mart closest to my house doesn't even sell baseball cards so I guess I'm stuck with Jeter.

Finally, here are the Kimbrel cards in the 2018 Topps Series 1 set.

  1. Base Card: there are no numbers yet because Topps has to do their card #1 reveal so I'll have to wait for that
    1. All the parallels Topps decides to drag out this year
  2. #MLBA-3 His award card for winning 2017 AL Reliever of the Year
  3. #83-71 1983 insert (unbelievably no Salute card)
  4. #ASTM-CKI All-Star Medallion Card (must be a blaster box exclusive)
  5. #ITN-CKI In the Name Relic
  6. #MLM-CI Major League Materials (I have no clue what this is)
I'm stopping here because I have no interest in hunting down autographs or any of that stuff. This post actaully made me super excited for 2018 Topps to be released next week. If they can improve on a few things from 2017, I'm sure it will be an improvement over the last 2 years of Topps flagship. 












1 comment:

  1. I think I'm in the minority of mostly liking the new flagship design, though I agree with the criticism of the name needing to scoot over to the right a bit.

    With that said, I'll probably just pick up a Cubs set and maybe a hanger box at some point. But I like it enough that I'm considering going all in on a master set of Opening Day.

    ReplyDelete