Friday, March 30, 2018

I Really Need to Stay More Organized

I've mentioned many times before that, at many times, my collection is very unorganized. I've tried to cut down on big purchases or massive card show hauls as of late, simply because I want to have most if not everything put away before I acquire more cards.

Well, I've almost reached that point as I've been spending the last few weeks putting cards away for player collections as well as categorizing them online. I've discovered quite a few cards from past shows and card shop trips while organizing, but what I found when putting cards away today shocked me. Because even though I knew I need to improve my organization big time, I had no clue that I had actual relic cards just sitting in a paper bag from a past card show. 

That's right, relic cards of guys like Ivan Rodriguez and Randy Johnson that I bought at the MLK day Mansfield show still haven't been put away. There are no real excuses for not putting these cards away yet, even if they do need larger top loaders and penny sleeves, which I currently don't have. With all that being said, I really do like both of the relics, though they are polar opposites. The Rodriguez is from 2004 Topps Cracker Jack, a set that I am not a huge fan of, at least not the base cards. The relics, on the other hand, do what the base cards do and make it even better by quoting the iconic "take me out to the ball game" line. The Johnson relic, on the other hand, is a very modern looking card, the exact opposite of the Rodriguez. 

When I bought this relic card, I noticed how interesting it was that Upper Deck would choose the Red Sox for a Tony Perez relic card. However, one thing I did not notice is that it's serial numbered 66/75, thus making the card even more of a steal than I originally thought it was considering this card was going for $3. The card is a red parallel from the 2009 Upper Deck SP Legendary Cuts set. 

Furthermore, I found that this SP set was similar to the '04 Cracker Jack set in terms of the relics looking similar to the base cards. In this case, the Tony Perez relic takes on the same look as the base cards by including the same style border that reminds me quite a bit of the Deckle Edge cards. In fact, the set is pretty similar aside from the fact that the Upper Deck set has regular borders as opposed to the edges of the original 1969 Deckle cards.

While I'm glad to say that I've nearly finished putting player collection cards away and that I'm making progress in terms of categorizing player collection cards online, I still realize that I'm far away from having my collection as organized as I'd like it to be. My ultimate goal would be to have every card in my player collections put away, both online and in my boxes, by the middle of April. However, I can never be sure if or how I'll be able to achieve this goal. But, there's no harm in trying. 


6 comments:

  1. Good luck! The struggle is real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can tell! I'll probably do an update once I've narrowed down the piles of cards I have everywhere.

      Delete
  2. You sound super organized compared to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to spend some time organizing everyday, even if it's just 10 minutes. But it seems like I buy more cards than I have enough time to put away.

      Delete
  3. I think it helps to organize a little bit at a time, makes it seem less daunting. Those are some nice cards, and a good reminder to get your collection sorted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree and believe me, those relics are going to be constant reminders to stay ahead of the game.

      Delete