Sunday, September 16, 2018

2002 Topps 206 Box; The First Packs

Unsurprisingly, a trip to my LCS for supplies earlier today turned into something completely different as I ended up walking away with what I needed, sheets and penny sleeves, along with a special impulse buy.

For a very reasonable price, I added a hobby box of 2002 Topps 206 Series 1 to my purchase. An extremely recognizable set that goes hand-in-hand with one of my favorite sets ever, 2003 Topps 205, the 2002 Topps 206 set focuses more on card art and less on colored borders and variation backs. 

A couple years ago, I opened a box of the Series 2 version of this set. The owner of my LCS must've bought the boxes all at once, because the owner had Series 1, 2, and 3 boxes all available for similar prices. However, Series 1 was the cheapest of the two I hadn't opened, making it the easy choice for a purchase that I may or may not live to regret. 

Over the next few weeks, I plan on breaking the box post by post. Since I began blogging, I don't believe I've opened a hobby box like this for everyone to see, so I'm interested to see how this goes. As of now, I plan on doing 2 packs per post, therefore resulting in 10 total posts on the Topps 206 set.

Pack #1

#128 Pedro Martinez
As you can see, the very minimal base set allows for the stunning artwork to take up the majority of the card. Not only was my first card one of the best players I could've pulled, but for once, my scanner did the card justice and helped it look even better than it does in person. Now that's what I call a tall order.

#1 Vladimir Guerrero
If the first 2 cards are any inclination of what the box is going to be like, I may be in for one of the greatest boxes of my life. If not, I still have 2 beautiful cards of players I collect to start off pack #1.

#7 Mark Mulder
The negatives of buying a box that's 16 years old? Pulling so many cards of players you don't know well or at all? The positives? The artwork quality and creativity in the set is able to more than make up for it. 

#166 Nolan Ryan
Of all 4 teams that he played for, I'm always most excited to see cards of Nolan Ryan on the Angels. After all, his time in California is where Ryan's career really took off, and the 1970's California Angels uniforms are some of my favorites of the decade. 

#179 Honus Wagner
Taking the design from his iconic original T206 card, the reprint Wagner is one of my favorite cards in a pack loaded with gems. Now, my mission is to pull a mini version of this card, just so it can resemble the original even more.

#150 Rich Thompson

#167 Tom Seaver Mini Polar Bear Back
Just like it is for Allen & Ginter, each pack of 2002 Topps 206 includes a mini card with the standard ones being the Polar Bear backs. T206 is also similar to A&G, but most similar to the 2003 Topps 205 set in terms the different mini backs and variations within the checklist.

#T206-5 Team 206 Pedro Martinez
How awesome has this pack been? Starting and ending with cards of Pedro Martinez, this one being a Team 206 insert card, falling at 1-per-pack just like the minis. Additionally, it used different card art than Martinez's base card, a small detail that I appreciate quite a lot.

Pack #1 was definitely a good one. Now, let's see how pack #2 stacks up.

#109 Bobby Higginson
Without a doubt, my favorite part of this set is Topps' ability to make all cards, even the ones of lesser players, look like pieces of art with strong attention to detail throughout the entire card.

#64 Troy Glaus
There have been a lot of good options so far, but Troy Glaus' card is definitely my favorite card of the entire box so far, even though I'm not even fully 2 packs in as of now.

#117 Mark Quinn

#33 Frank Thomas
Thomas' card, as simple as it is, highlights one of my few problems with the Topps 206 set. This may be due to the set being produced in 2002, but the clarity of the artwork is not up to the level of, say, the 2017 Topps Gallery set. With that being said, the details and colors used are pretty incredible.

#171 Frank Chance
Hopefully, I can complete the infield trio of Tinker-Evers-Chance by pulling a base card of each of them. 1 down, 2 to go. 

#131 Brandon Duckworth

#33 Frank Thomas Mini Polar Bear Back
After pulling 2 Pedro cards in pack one, I found myself with 2 Frank Thomas cards in the 2nd pack. The first being a base card and the second being a Polar Bear back mini.

#T206-3 Team 206 Luis Gonzalez
I don't think I can be disappointed with any of these Team 206 insert cards. The design is far more intricate while still allowing for detailed art across the entire card.

After opening the first 2 packs, I like what I've seen so far from the set. Most of the artwork has been pretty fantastic and I really like the Team 206 cards in particular. Next, I'll be looking for mini back variations as well as any hits I'm lucky enough to pull.

2 comments:

  1. As a T206 collector and someone that never opened any of these, I'll be keeping an eye out for your posts on these. My initial thoughts are that I don't like some of the backgrounds where you can see the fans, etc like in the Glaus card.

    Also, Mulder was a stud for a handful of seasons with the A's.

    Shared your post on Twitter!

    -kin
    beansballcardblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree. Some of the artwork in the background or the player art isn't super polished. I'll have to see what the rest of the box has to offer.

      Thanks for the share. I appreciate it a lot.

      Delete