Thursday, September 27, 2018

Completed For Real This Time

*Before I start, I just wanted to let you all know that Blogger isn't letting me reply to comments. Don't worry, I'm seeing them it's just not letting me say anything in response.*

If you've seen the recaps that I posted nearly 2 months ago, you'll notice that one of my biggest accomplishments from The National was completing the 1975 Topps set, or so I thought.

When I was putting away the 1975 cards a few weeks ago, I noticed that I didn't have card #660 which I thought was Dave Lopes. Turns out, I confused 1975 with 1976 when taking cards off my want list, and I ended up thinking card #660 in 1975 Topps was Lopes when that was the reality for the 1976 Topps set.

While there were no issues with 1976, I was bummed to find out that I was, in fact, still a card short of completing 1975 Topps. So, I went directly onto Sportlots to find out who exactly card #660 in 1975 Topps was. Low and behold, it was Hank Aaron and the card was one I was extremely unfamiliar with. 

Without wasting any time, I placed an order for a card listed in VG-EX condition and got it shipped to be for less than half the price of a blaster box. As you can see, the major flaw of this card is how poorly cut it is, but it's overall in fairly good condition otherwise.

Not only is this Aaron's first Topps card with the Brewers, but I'm pretty certain it's also his first card ever where he's listed as a DH. I assume joining the Brewers at the age of 41 meant that he'd have to take the DH spot in order to keep him healthy and not risk anything happening. His 2 years with the Brewers were a sign of how much he truly regressed by the mid-1970's. He hit .232 in over 700 at-bats with the Brewers before retiring after the 1976 season.

Also, can you believe the fun fact listed at the top of this card? Seriously, I had absolutely no clue Ernie Banks and O.J. Simpson were cousins. As it turns out, they're actually 2nd cousins after I searched it up online. Who knew?

Anyway, this is it for 1975. I went through the binder after realizing that I didn't have the final card. Even though I thought I completed it back in Cleveland, it is official now. I have completed the 1975 Topps set.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats again. I've done the "I thought I completed that" thing a time or two.

    That Aaron card is often miscut, mine is as well. But I'm not willing to pay for a centered version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although Aaron is one of my favorite players, the photo quality on this card isn't enough for me to pay extra for a better cut card.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on completing the set! It's almost fitting the last card would be an All-time great like Aaron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. I have to agree, it felt nice to complete the set by tracking down one last card of a player like Hank Aaron.

      Delete