Friday, September 14, 2018

Top 5 Cards; George Brett

Is it just me or are elite 3rd baseman getting more and rarer in today's game of baseball?

Other than catcher, there is no position harder than playing 3rd base, at least in my opinion. Not only do you have to always be ready for a ball to come your way, but it requires that you have a powerful arm and can field balls hit extremely fast towards you. After all, they don't call it the hot corner for nothing.

Yes, there are some talented defensive and offensive 3rd basemen, but finding a dual threat to play the position can be tough. In the past few years, we've seen Evan Longoria and Josh Donaldson decline a little in performance. That leaves 2 elite 3rd basemen left in baseball unless I'm missing one. Jose Ramirez and Nolan Arenado.

That's part of what made the 70's and 80's a fascinating era for baseball, specifically the 3rd base position. Greats like Brooks Robinson, Mike Schmidt, Wade Boggs, and the subject of today's top 5 cards post, George Brett, helped revolutionize the game by being magnificent defensive players while also heavily contributing at the offensive level as well.

An example of one of my player collections to reach the 100-card mark, my George Brett player collection currently rests at 124 cards with more to be added to the online inventory as I speak. It was tough, but I chose 5 incredible cards that I think do a good job of reflecting Brett as a player, at 3rd base, and at the plate.

#5 2013 Panini Golden Age 
A bit of an odd choice for the list, the 2013 Panini Golden Age set is yet another example of a Panini product that could become way more popular if only they had MLB licensing rights. When I first started seeing cards from this set in my player collections, I tried to draw conclusions about any sets these cards could be based off, but nothing came to mind. It's a pretty unique set, so it only stands to reason that it could cause some collectors to think there is too much going on, especially with the powder blue jersey. However, I just see it as a creative set attempt by Panini, so kudos to them for trying.

#4 2005 Leaf Century Collection
In case you were wondering, every card included on this list shows Brett in a light powder blue jersey. No, this was not intentional when I was making this list, but it makes sense in the long run. The iconic powder blue Royals jerseys have been a staple for some time now, and a good percent of the George Brett cards produced today show the 1980 AL MVP in the jersey above. Speaking of the card, this is a perfect example of what non-licensed products should be doing nowadays, covering up any spaces in which the logos are usually shown.

And just think the 2005 Leaf Century Collection set actually had licensed. They just happened to produce a card along the way that could almost pass off as unlicensed if not for the Royals logo on the left side.

#3 1987 Donruss - Diamond Kings
After their 1985 set, I feel like Donruss began to change their brand. The sets started to become less iconic, but that's likely because they were forced to change with an era in baseball and in general that was starting to change as well. For me, 1987 was the last year in which I liked the Donruss base set. After that, the sets started to go downhill and before you knew it, Donruss was joining the craze and producing all sorts of different sets every year. However, the Diamond Kings cards remained a strong point for many years, and the colors, designs, and all the other factors that come with George Brett's 1987 Diamond Kings card are part of what made DK great, even when Donruss wasn't at its best.

#2 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen
Of all the cards I chose for the list, Brett's 2014 Topps Gypsy Queen card does the best job at highlighting the powder blue jersey. Not only do I feel like it compliments the set very well, but it also highlights the era of baseball that Brett played in. George Brett's prime seasons were played in an era of colorful uniforms just like these. Not only does this card show that, but it also literally shows Brett swinging a bat in the on-deck circle, another small feature that helps make this card.

#1 2003 Fleer Fall Classic Pennant Aggression 
A numbered insert from the 2003 Fleer Fall Classic set and a dime box pickup, this was an easy choice for the #1 spot on my list of top 5 George Brett cards. The inserts, which I have not seen before or after grabbing this George Brett die-cut at the show, highlights pennant-winning seasons for star players and even includes a separate insert set for relic cards as well. If you think this card is great, wait until you see the relics even though only 1 is currently listed on COMC.

Just a PSA, if anyone's feeling generously once holiday season comes, any of these inserts and especially one of the relics would be greatly appreciated and would definitely merit a care package of cards in return.

But if not, I still have the George Brett insert, the obvious and only choice for the #1 spot.

6 comments:

  1. That Pennant card is really neat. Also, I’d like to submit Alex Bergman in the elite category. He fields absolutely everything, and this season he’s realized his potential with the bat as well.

    Another guy I really like at 3B is Matt Chapman of the A’s - probably not “elite” yet, but his defense sure is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex Bregman has been highly impressive all season, but I wouldn't put him at the level of Ramirez and Arenado quite yet. For now, I do believe he's elite, just a bit behind the other two.

      Delete
  2. Technically David Wright is still active, but he hasn't played much in recent years, and he just announced that he's going to be on the roster for the team's final homestand, start one game, and then retire, which really supports your point. He was an elite 3rd Baseman, but those days are long gone.

    I'm a big George Brett fan, but the Diamond King is the only one of these I have. If I did this I'd mostly pick the older stuff--1979 Hostess (with a photo later reused in 2015 Archives), 1980 Topps Super, 1981 Donruss, and of course his 1975 rookie. Oh, I've got a Tier One relic that would be up there, too, if hits count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I decided only to count guys who are still playing and at a high level. If I was counting all 3rd baseman who have been elite, David Wright, Evan Longoria and Josh Donaldson would be included.

      Delete
  3. I second Alex Brahman as Elite and at just 24 years old I think the best years are still ahead. Depending on how you view Manny Machado (SS or 3B) I would say he is in the elite class too. The 80s had some great 3B thats for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I view Machado as a SS considering he's been playing that position all year and was selected as an All-Star as a SS. However, depending on where he ends up next year, that could change.

      Delete