Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Highlights From the 2nd Half

In an effort to speed up the process of this box in order to get to some newer posts a bit sooner, I've decided to recap the 2nd half of my 2002 Topps 206 hobby box in 1 efficient post dedicated to the top 10 cards of the next half of the box.

I won't lie, the clicks and comments have not been strong for these posts which is another reason why I've decided to make this post. The comments issue could be due to an issue within Blogger since I have been unable to respond to comments for the last few days. 

Anyway, for the reasons listed above I've decided to do a quick top 10 cards post showing what the 2nd half of the box was like. As you'll see, I did not hit any relics or autographs, but it was a pretty fun break overall. In the future though, I'd probably stick solely to a set like Topps Gallery for my art cards.

As I mentioned, I have some cool posts I intend to share within the next few days, including my very first card purchase on Twitter. But for now, enjoy the best of the best from the 2nd half of the 2002 Topps 206 hobby box.

#88 Andruw Jones
The vibrant colors on this card really pop out to me in a way not many others have. The navy blue jersey and the bright yellow background at the top of the card truly stand out to me in a very positive way. Additionally, the artist got the little details like the jersey in the back and the facial details right which has proven to be an issue in this set.

#9 Raul Mondesi
I think more than anything, I like the attention to detail and simplicity of this card. In the case of so many cards in this set, the amount of color used can sometimes be overwhelming. So, I think it's nice to have the occasional card like Raul Mondesi where the colors are minimal, but it is clear that attention was paid when this card was created.

#8 Ernie Banks
Because I already have one of these cards in my Ernie Banks PC, I didn't think all too much about this card when I pulled it. However, when determining the cards that were to be included in this post, I thought more and more about including Ernie Banks' card and the more I thought about it, the more I agreed it would be a good choice.

#7 Tris Speaker
There are vintage players included in this set like Ernie Banks, and then there are old-timers like Tris Speaker. Not only am I crazy about the simple yet iconic early 1900's jerseys, but the teal blue background is truly an exceptional choice of a background color for this card.

#6 Bobby Abreu
It's something about the perfectly encapsulated details on Bobby Abreu's helmet and jersey that cause this card to stand out to me. Okay, it's not exactly something we haven't seen before, but the way it's created with such details added, even as little as the blurred background colors, help to make this card a standout, and not just because of the all-red uniform.

#5 Sammy Sosa
Even though I don't like giving recognition to cards of proven PED users, I couldn't help myself with Sammy Sosa's card here. Out of everything on this card, my eyes instantly jump to the reflected Cubs logo on Sosa's batting helmet. Such a small detail was given such emphasis and really turned out well along with the rest of the card as well.

#4 Reggie Jackson
There isn't really much to say about this card other than the fact that Jackson is wearing the classic bright gold and green A's jersey while also holding not one, but two bats in his hands, making this not only one of my favorite Topps 206 cards but favorite A's cards of all-time.

#3 Tony Gwynn
One of the greatest hitters of all-time can be seen tipping his hat in another example of the excellence that can be represented by the artwork in the 2002 Topps 206 set. In this card, it's not as much the art that I enjoy as it is for the others (although the art is fabulous), but I'm way more into the photo chosen to be painted instead.

#2 Kazuhiro Sasaki
The light blue sky background is one of the best choices made in this set, though it isn't represented all that much. Combined with the confident pose that Mariners relief pitcher Kazuhiro Sasaki is taking that makes this an absolutely brilliant card.

#1 Ichiro
With the Mariners represented in the #1 and #2 spots, they definitely dominated the box or at least the 2nd half. As for the Ichiro card, the minimalistic details go a long way for me here. The lime green background is a great choice, but the best part is definitely the comic book-style artwork chosen for Ichiro's face. I don't know about you, but I think this was a great choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment