Sunday, January 5, 2020

The New Frankenset: Page #1

After a brief hiatus between my 2 frankensets, the series has made its return with 74 brand new pages and 666 unique cards waiting to be introduced.

Truth be told, the ~3 weeks in which I didn't write about a single frankenset page felt odd, to say the least. This feature has been apart of my blog since March of 2018, so the break was a little weird. After all, frankenset pages are my go-to option for a quick, easy, and entertaining blog post.

I think the thing I'm most excited about regarding my 2nd frankenset is the opportunity to explore a new batch of players, products, and set designs.

The last ~200 ish cards of the first binder featured primarily Topps/Donruss/Fleer base cards, so it's very refreshing to look at the page above and see inserts, as well as smaller sets and oddballs, make their return.

I fully expect to keep the same schedule for the new frankenset as I did for the original: 1 post every week or so, give or take. And with all that out of the way, nothing is stopping me from getting this series started.

Page 1, as you all know, features cards 1-9 in the 666-card set. I don't want to wait any longer, so let's begin.

#1 2015 Topps Gypsy Queen Mini Mike Trout
If you ask me, any sort of Mike Trout card is an excellent way to begin the frankenset. While I'm glad that Gypsy Queen has found its identity over the last couple of years, cards like this make me miss the old days with framed parallels and a mini in every pack.

While I'm on the topic of Trout, I'm stoked to announce that the once in a lifetime autograph pull was sent out to Beckett over a week ago and, if all goes as planned, I'll get the grade and the card by the end of this week.

I'll know what grade it receives before the card comes back in the mail, but I'll wait to get the announcement until I have it back in hand. Until then, the suspense will continue to build.

#2 2015 Topps Opening Day Franchise Flashback Ryan Braun
There have been several sets (Gypsy Queen, Stadium Club) that have shown today's MLB players in throwback uniforms, but only the Franchise Flashback insert set from 2015 Topps Opening Day has paired them with a retro-style design as well.

Aside from the unnecessary "Opening Day" logo towards the bottom right of the card, I love everything about these cards. While I don't really collect insert sets for the fun of it, the Franchise Flashback cards are inspiring me to start.

#3 2015 Topps Opening Day Franchise Flashback George Springer
I'm not too keen on featuring cards from the same set on 1 page, let alone back-to-back, but there isn't going to be many opportunities for cards as unique as the ones above to be featured later on in the set, so I was willing to make an exception.

Plus, the Springer card pairs the vibrant set design with one of the greatest uniforms in MLB history, the "rainbow" Houston Astros jerseys, introduced in the late 1970s. Once again, aside from the OD logo, these cards are close to perfection.

#4 1991 Topps Toys R Us Rookies Carlos Baerga
From what I remember, several things attracted me to this Carlos Baerga Toys R Us oddball when I was created the 2nd frankenset; the black border only enhances the colorful aspects of the card, especially the company logo, and the photo, especially for the 90s, is a nice quality shot of the Indians 3rd baseman.

I've had this card in my collection for as long as I can remember, yet I've never come across another card from this set. Though I don't collect either one of them, I like the looks of Larry Walker and Frank Thomas' cards from what I've seen on COMC.

#5 2001 Bowman Heritage Bartolo Colon
The media and fan obsession with Bartolo Colon, in my humble opinion, has gotten a little old, but I won't let that discredit the fact that he has an excellent 2001 Bowman Heritage base card. Upon seeing this black-and-white photograph-based set, I'm hoping that I've included a few more of these cards across the remainder of the new frankenset.

If the me who made this set 2 ish years ago feels the same way about these cards as I do now, I don't think there will be a problem.

#6 2015 Topps Heritage Then & Now Koufax/Kershaw
Though the comparison is made somewhat regularly, it's hard not to contrast Sandy Koufax and Clayton Kershaw, the 2 greatest pitchers in Dodgers franchise history. I don't follow the team enough to formulate an opinion, but Kershaw still has many years to eclipse the 3-time Cy Young award winner.

Seeing a Heritage insert from a few years back only makes me more excited for what's to come later in 2020 when Topps pays homage to the '71 design. My luck in 2019 may not have been as stellar as years past, but Heritage, nonetheless, remains one of my favorite releases.

#7 2012 Topps Archives 1969 Deckle Edge Joe Mauer
He may have been one of the most dominant players in Baseball in the late 2000s and early 2010s, but Joe Mauer will likely fall just short of Cooperstown due to the injuries that plagued his 15-year career.

This is to be expected from a catcher, as many of them had either shortened careers, injuries, or both throughout their time in the MLB. Once he moved away from that position, however, it seems like he didn't miss quite as much playing time.

#8 2003 Upper Deck 40 Man David Eckstein
The previous year of Upper Deck 40 Man featured flimsy cardstock and a sub-par set design, so I must say that I'm rather impressed with the 2003 release in terms of how much Upper Deck improved the look of the cards as well as the sturdiness.

Of course, it's the 2002 design that I have an abundance of cards from whereas I only own a handful of cards from the 2003 set. The Upper Deck equivalent of Topps Total, as far as I know, didn't last too long afterward.

#9 2012 Topps Gold Futures Jeremy Hellickson
Jeremy Hellickson was a member of a dominant Tampa Bay Rays pitching staff from the early 2010s that also featured Matt Garza, James Shields, and, of course, Cy Young award winner David Price.

Hellickson may not have had the "Gold Future" promised by Topps back in 2012, but he's been a serviceable pitcher for many teams since leaving Tampa Bay. Despite his 6.23 ERA last season, he still won a World Series ring with the Washington Nationals.

4 comments:

  1. Woo-Hoo! A new FrankenSet to follow.
    I always find choosing the first page is the most challenging. So many options to choose from. EVERY set has a card #1... but most sets don't have a card #666.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Franchise Flashback cards really are great! Guess I'll have to pick the Springer as my favorite just because of the tequila sunrise unis. Did the Brewers really wear that design regularly? I don't remember that. (I remember the logo, of course, but not that jersey.)

    The two B&W cards on the page really make a good contrast with those FF inserts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Springer is so colorful! I love it. Definitely my favorite card on the page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't believe I've never seen those Franchise Flashback inserts before. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete