Thursday, October 26, 2017

A Set That Celebrated A Legacy

In 2008, Upper Deck released a 6742 card set celebrating each game ever played at the historic Yankee Stadium that was knocked down the year before.

This was easily the most ambitious set ever made by any company ever, which continued to prove the risks that some card manufacturers, like Upper Deck, take that Topps would never do. The cards were randomly inserted into many Upper Deck products throughout the year and I've acquired about 30 cards from the massive set. 

Like I said each card is a game played at Yankee Stadium, win or lose. Each card also features a star player for the Yankees from that moment in time. This star-studded list includes Yankees greats such as Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Yogi Berra, Andy Petitte, Mariano Rivera, and more. The front features a picture of the player along with a gold snapshot of the ballpark along with the game number as well as the date and final score.

Yet somehow this ambitious set isn't limited to just the cards from each game played at the ballpark. There are more cards included that feature the greatest Yankees of all-time. These cards are white-bordered rather than gold and look just as sick as the other cards.

While these aren't as interesting as the other cards, there's no denying that these are well-done cards by a company that truly wanted to make a unique product for the fans. A product so someone like me, a devout Red Sox fan could appreciate it and even attempt to collect a few select cards from the set.

But even though I know a fair amount about the set, I know far from everything. If anyone knows what these blue-bordered cards are or knows any information I missed or got wrong, please let me know. There's no doubt in my mind that this set is one of my favorite sets ever made, and I really feel like it never got the attention or recognition it deserved. 






No comments:

Post a Comment