Friday, October 27, 2017

My Other 2 Printing Plates

When I opened a box of 2014 Gypsy Queen last week I received my 3rd printing plate in my collection (and yes I know it's smudged a bit). This was my first non-yellow plate and even though it may be smudged, it's still a great addition to my collection and of a player who for a while was an MLB star.

My other 2 plates were from packs that I opened last year. One is actually from 2016 while the other is from a 2007 set.

Although he wasn't doing very well when I got this card in summer 2016, Heyward has bounced back and had a solid 2017 year. This card, like the Fielder, came from a Gypsy Queen hobby box and this card actually came in the first pack. This plate is the mini Heyward base card, #11 from 2016 Gypsy Queen. I was pleased to get my first plate ever, and it was fun because I had very little prior knowledge about what a printing plate was. But I knew when I pulled it that it was a Cub, and a 1/1, so I was happy. 

The next card has a bit more of an interesting story. I bought a box of 2007 Fleer (made by Upper Deck) at the baseball card show. It was $15 and the cover person of the product was Ken Griffey Jr. I was opening packs, not expecting any hits but still enjoying the base set and the unique inserts when all of a sudden I saw the same color that had resonated with me since I saw it on the Heyward plate. I flipped through the other cards and then I saw it.

It's him, one of the best clutch hitters and sluggers of all-time. Ken Griffey Jr. 

I was speechless. My 2nd plate had come in a pack about a month after my first, and this was a legend, a Hall of Famer. One of the best hitters to ever play the game. I immediately put it in a safe place right next to the Heyward, that way my two plates could be together. 

Upon further examination, I found that this plate is from an insert set called Autographics. I haven't seen this set anywhere else, but I don't need to. Knowing I have a Ken Griffey Jr plate is all I need. 

As for the backs, since the 2 Gypsy Queens are obviously made by Topps the backs look pretty similar, just with different colors.

While the Griffey plate is made by Upper Deck, so it looks a bit different.

Well, there you go, all 3 of my printing plates. I find these to be great ways to pick up your first 1/1 card or just to get another 1/1. You can find some going for pretty cheap on COMC, so if you want you own I highly recommend checking that website out. Hopefully someday soon I'll have a 4th plate to show off. 

That is if my luck continues.





No comments:

Post a Comment