Sunday, August 11, 2019

Graded Card Pickups; 2019 National Recap Part #6

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to participate in Topps' 3rd annual National Baseball Card Day this year, the very event that I talked about on my very first blog post back in August of 2017.

Though I'm fortunate enough to have multiple Baseball card shops in proximity to my house, only one of them was registered on Topps' list of participating stores, and they ended up being closed for vacation once the date came along.

Alas, I had no way of getting the free packs or the exclusive Bryce Harper card (not that I care that much about him, to begin with). With supplies running dangerously low and my LCS closed, I went to the Baseball card show today.

Not to worry, I didn't buy a single Baseball card. Rather, I went to the show because the guy who runs it has terrific prices and an unparalleled selection. I was able to purchase all the boxes, sleeves, and sheets that I needed without breaking the bank.

One of the many things I purchased was another 2-row box for my graded cards which are the subject of today's National recap. Collectively, my Dad and I ended up with multiple of PSA or Beckett graded cards during our time in Chicago but no space within the box to store them.

More so than upping the value of a given card, I see grading as a way to preserve some of the older collectibles. Nowadays, if I'm thinking of buying a vintage card (not from the want list) or even a modern autograph, I typically lean more towards graded cards, particularly Beckett.

Specifically, 3D cards often have issues with their surface if they're not preserved correctly. In addition to the singles that we picked up, my Dad and I found some unbelievably fair priced 3D cards, graded by PSA.

One of the first vendors we bought from had a stack of graded 3D cards from the 1970 Kellogg's set for just a few dollars each. Not only did multiple cards, including the Bando and Campaneris, pique our interest, but all of the grades were fairly high. 

Given how susceptible 3D cards' surfaces are to damage, I was impressed that the cards received grades like 6 (EX-MT). Bando and Campaneris were both essential parts of the 1972-74 World Champion Oakland A's teams, and Reggie Smith (at the top of this post) had some stellar seasons with the Red Sox.

I can't imagine there are many graded Seattle Pilots cards out there, nevermind a 3D card. After I completed the 1969 and 1970 Topps team sets of the short-lived team, I decided to turn my attention to any Seattle Pilots cards or memorabilia that I can find.

Certainly, a PSA 7 Tommy Harper from the 1970 Kellogg's set fits the bill. Though I'll be keeping this card alongside all my graded cards, it will definitely count towards the Seattle Pilots PC that I've developed.

It's challenging to fully appreciate a card when I can't scan it properly, but the Pilots jersey along with the 3D design makes this card one of my favorite pickups of the entire show.

The final of the 3D cards isn't in as great of condition as the previous 4, but I'm satisfied with a PSA 4 of Hall of Famer Harmon Killebrew, especially when the card is as phenomenal as this.

Backgrounds aren't something I pay attention to when it comes to 3D cards, but the sky and clouds are a magnificent choice for the shot of Killebrew in a classic Twins home uniform. I'm also not a fan of facsimile signatures, but for some reason, Killebrew's works well on his card.

Although I'd be content to buy nothing but graded 3D cards, I want there to be some variety in what I purchase, something I expanded upon in yesterday's post. I could've bought all of the graded 3D cards that the dealer had, but I opted to move on instead.

Unsurprisingly, many of the cards at the show were graded, ranging the 1st Bowman autos of today's hottest prospects to vintage Topps cards from the 1950s. 

Many of the sports cards on display were either out of my price range or not on my radar, but I didn't have to do much digging to find inexpensive and desired graded cards throughout my 2 1/2 days at the show.

I'm always looking to add new Red Sox cards to my collection, and a fair-priced graded card is just that much better. I forget exactly what I paid for this 1973 Topps Dwight Evans rookie, but I'm quite pleased with the purchase.

I've become very familiar with the 1970s Boston Red Sox teams, particularly the players on the 1975 club. Evans was a longtime Red Sox whose defensive capabilities aren't fully appreciated. 

Though he hasn't been in a recent release in some time, I enjoyed seeing him in Upper Deck and Fleer sets across the early 2000s.

When I began selling on eBay towards the end of last year, I listed and quickly sold a Topps Update base rookie card of Juan Soto, a decision I later regretted given how immensely talented the 20-year old is.

Though I have another Soto card from The National which I'll be showcasing later this week, I needed to make amends for my blunder and add another Soto rookie to my collection. For around what I sold the Update card for, I bought a graded version of his 2018 Topps Chrome Update card.

I originally planned on saving this gorgeous card for my final recap post where I showcase my greatest pickups of the show, but I felt that Lou Brock's 1962 Topps rookie card should be included along with the rest of the graded card pickups.

While I can't say that I was searching for this specific card as I was browsing the show, both my Dad and I have known about and wanted this card for several years. I remember purchasing his '64 Topps card, on the Cubs, at last year's National, but the rookie card is something totally different.

Everything about this card, the orange background, the wood borders, the blue cap, makes Brock's rookie a true classic. Given all the reprinted card insert sets that Topps has put out, I'm surprised this card hasn't been featured all that much.

Nonetheless, this card is undeniably one of our best pickups from the show, especially since it received such a high grade. A BGS 6 is challenging to come by, especially for a set that shows damage as much as '62 Topps.

It's still a little unusual to see Brock in a Cubs uniform, but I'm incredibly pleased with this card in addition to all the other graded cards that we brought back with us.

Buying a card that's already graded definitely affects the value, but if you like knowing the value of and preserving your cards, I firmly believe it's worth the little extra in cost.

1 comment:

  1. Those 1970 Kellogg's drew me in. The 73T Dwight Evans kept me attentive. And the Lou Brock rookie card blew me away. Great show pickups!

    ReplyDelete